Why change again wlan0?

Why there is again a change on the network device? if i remember well when i start using parrot there was the same random string but after the famous wlan0 come back for the sake of all my custom (or official) script.

So we can have back wlan0 eth0 etc? if not there is a command in the grub srcipt to dont rename it on this random string can you help me to remember it?

Thanks

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture) the last 4.16.0-parrot12-amd64

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no) no

Mine never change but…
In /etc/default/grub add ‘net.ifnames=1’ for consistent names
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“net.ifnames=1”

Or look at this if you want to make/edit some rules to name them yourself

when you say yours never change you mean you always has this “random” wl3ps0 or wlan0 ??
just to know because if you still have wlan0 that mean i remove a package or whatever which do this net.iframes=1 automatically

edit: I try it for wlan0 you must add net.iframes=0 :wink: not 1 because 1 must rename it with this horrible name… i prefer the historical wlan0 but i dont why i have this change??? if the staff can give a hint??

Mine is always wlan.
It was a change in udev for security and a few other things.
Read here: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

yeah i know for the security issues with known names interfaces thanks.
i dont know why this names changes but i think when i was playing around drivers and packages for nvidia i uninstall a packages like handling interfaces driver free or something like taht

Thanks for your help.

Admin/moderator you can closed this post as solved

Solution:

sudo vi /etc/default/grub

search GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and add net.ifnames=0

You must have something like that:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ipv6.disable=1 net.ifnames=0 quiet"

save with :x and sudo update-grub

and reboot

1 Like

I make an error when i purge some nvidia package i think but parrot-core was not installed and thats make this problem. i realise this when after a su command i wasnt able to have this so beautiful parrot prompt :smiley:

when i make the first purge i was stuck with a problem and dpkg was stuck on glx-diversion and i wasnt able to do just a sudo apt update anymore and when i repair it this package gone :stuck_out_tongue: