Parrot Community

Community portal of the Parrot Project.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome Aboard Pirate!

Support us on Patreon and contribute to our project!

HappyHacking!

#1 2018-01-08 17:42:32

freddie.goodman
Community Member

Intel OpenCL

So, I got a warning from hashcat that I wasn't using the proper drivers for my CPU. I have an onboard GPU (i5k) and I also thought it would be interesting to use that for some tasks. After some searching, I found out that Intel provides drivers and I downloaded what I thought to be the best driver. During installation I get the error message

-------------------------
Unsupported OS
Detected operating system is not supported. Supported operating systems for this release are:
Ubuntu* 12.04 (Intel(R) 64), 14.04 (Intel(R) 64)

Missing libraries
The following libraries required for installation are missing:

lsb-core >= 4.0
---------------------------

I looked and there isn't a newer driver for Ubuntu on Intel's website. I tested installation. Previous to installation, Hashcat -I gives me

-----------------------
OpenCL Info:

Platform ID #1
  Vendor  : NVIDIA Corporation
  Name    : NVIDIA CUDA
  Version : OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 9.1.98

Device ID #1
    Type           : GPU
    Vendor ID      : 32
    Vendor         : NVIDIA Corporation
    Name           : GeForce GTX 1080
    Version        : OpenCL 1.2 CUDA
    Processor(s)   : 20
    Clock          : 1733
    Memory         : 2028/8113 MB allocatable
    OpenCL Version : OpenCL C 1.2
    Driver Version : 387.34

Platform ID #2
  Vendor  : The pocl project
  Name    : Portable Computing Language
  Version : OpenCL 2.0 pocl 0.14, LLVM 3.9.1

Device ID #2
    Type           : CPU
    Vendor ID      : 128
    Vendor         : GenuineIntel
    Name           : pthread-Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Version        : OpenCL 2.0 pocl HSTR: pthread-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-x86-64
    Processor(s)   : 4
    Clock          : 3700
    Memory         : 18015/18015 MB allocatable
    OpenCL Version : OpenCL C 2.0
    Driver Version : 0.14
---------------------------------------

if I go ahead with installation, it gives me 3 platform IDs. I don't have that readout at the moment. So, I decided I should delete the old driver (platform id 2, above) bc the two platforms seemed to be essentially the same thing. After uninstalling pocl, I get the following from Hashcat -I

------------------------------
OpenCL Info:

Platform ID #1
  Vendor  : Intel(R) Corporation
  Name    : Intel(R) OpenCL
  Version : OpenCL 1.2 LINUX

Device ID #1
    Type           : CPU
    Vendor ID      : 8
    Vendor         : Intel(R) Corporation
    Name           : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Version        : OpenCL 1.2 (Build 25)
    Processor(s)   : 4
    Clock          : 3300
    Memory         : 3991/15967 MB allocatable
    Driver Version : 1.2.0.25

Platform ID #2
  Vendor  : NVIDIA Corporation
  Name    : NVIDIA CUDA
  Version : OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 9.1.98

Device ID #2
    Type           : GPU
    Vendor ID      : 32
    Vendor         : NVIDIA Corporation
    Name           : GeForce GTX 1080
    Version        : OpenCL 1.2 CUDA
    Processor(s)   : 20
    Clock          : 1733
    Memory         : 2028/8113 MB allocatable
    Driver Version : 387.34
-----------------------------------------------------

Hashcat no longer gives me the warning that I'm not using a native driver and that I should expect massive speed loss. Should I have installed that driver? Should I have uninstalled the other? Did I do the right thing? I'm pretty n00b with GPUs, so I really appreciate your help. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by freddie.goodman (2018-01-08 17:44:03)

#2 2018-01-09 05:42:55

dmknght
Community Member

Re: Intel OpenCL

As i know, intel opencl driver on Linux is supporting 5th, 6th, 7th gen CPU (i don't know about Nvidia). An you are asking about Intel's driver. I tried on my system, but i found hashcat can run if you add

--force

option.

#3 2018-01-10 21:05:14

freddie.goodman
Community Member

dmknght wrote:

As i know, intel opencl driver on Linux is supporting 5th, 6th, 7th gen CPU (i don't know about Nvidia). An you are asking about Intel's driver. I tried on my system, but i found hashcat can run if you add

--force

option.

Thank you for your response. My CPU is second gen Intel, I believe. Also, I am aware that I can --force it, but it seems to indicate that I will have massive speed loss. I'm really wondering if the Intel driver is proper (it seems to work) and whether it was proper to remove the pocl driver. I know that hashcat can possibly run on CPU, but I was specifically trying to allocate the onboard GPU toward that task. That's the goal, anyway. Since I'm not using that GPU to run my monitor, it seems like a waste. Thanks again for your comment.

#4 2018-01-11 11:57:11

dmknght
Community Member

Well, i don't know much about hashcat, and because my laptop has Inter card only, so i can not help you much. But if you want to run hashcat by GPU (as i understand) you should add -d option (choosing device). Maybe

-d 2

is the right commend,

is your device id. For me, hashcat is pretty good. I run hashcat for brute forcing md5 hash with rockyou wordlist and it takes ~ 5 secs for brute forcing + 3, 4 secs for building memory. it is pretty fast for me, specially my own md5 brute force script takes 18 secs for brute forcing, and takes 7 or 8 secs for reading wordlist.
My fun story: I thought about saving money and buying a good laptop, but i can not sure if Linux fully support hardware. Specially Intel has poor support for opencl on Linux lol.

#5 2018-01-13 01:42:11

freddie.goodman
Community Member

dmknght wrote:

Well, i don't know much about hashcat, and because my laptop has Inter card only, so i can not help you much. But if you want to run hashcat by GPU (as i understand) you should add -d option (choosing device). Maybe

-d 2

is the right commend,

is your device id. For me, hashcat is pretty good. I run hashcat for brute forcing md5 hash with rockyou wordlist and it takes ~ 5 secs for brute forcing + 3, 4 secs for building memory. it is pretty fast for me, specially my own md5 brute force script takes 18 secs for brute forcing, and takes 7 or 8 secs for reading wordlist.
My fun story: I thought about saving money and buying a good laptop, but i can not sure if Linux fully support hardware. Specially Intel has poor support for opencl on Linux lol.

yes, thank you. I use -D 2 to pick my graphics card and it is fast af. I've heard linux has some problems with newer hardware, esp laptops. There are places in a lot of cities where you can go volunteer to help sort their computer recycling and get really good discounts or free hardware. You can often find top-of-the-line stuff for super cheap, it'll just be last year's top-of-the-line, which seems to be what you would be looking for.

I'm pretty sure I did those drivers right, although it doesn't seem to indicate the onboard GPU as a device. Maybe it just doesn't work like that - idk. I did a bunch of reading and it seems like the Intel and pocl drivers are there to do the same thing. It just seemed a little weird given what I mentioned before. But, if it works, then it works, so I'm happy enough I suppose. Plus, as you pointed out, I'm going to be using the NVIDIA card not the onboard GPU anyway, at least the vast majority of the time. No reason not to, really. I was just exploring other options.
:-)

Last edited by freddie.goodman (2018-01-13 01:45:37)

#6 2018-01-14 09:27:33

dmknght
Community Member

Nah i am in different country. It is to hard to find good cheap hardware here. Anyway congrat for your Nvidia, my hardware takes hours for cracking 7 characters (with numbers and lower + upper case). :(

Board footer