A tale of two laptops; which realtek driver is best?

– Please Write here your help request –
I have two laptops: 1) an old, internal SATA, Intel-based one with Broadcom wireless, and 2) a newish, internal NVMe, AMD-based one with Realtek wireless. #2 is where I run various Linux distributions via external USB enclosures (I formally used #1 for that, but it’s dying). However, #2 is a PITA to open, so I install Linux via #1 (with the internal SSD removed to avoid double-boot) and then adjust so #2 can run it. For Devuan Chimaera, I needed to install dkms and rtl8821ce-dkms_5.5.2.1-7~mx21+1_all via .deb files (because there was no wireless connectivity), then firmware-amd-graphics via Synaptic. For Linux Mint, I needed to install rtl8821ce-dkms_5.5.2.1-7~mx21+1_all. Because Parrot runs testing-Debian, should I install rtl8821ce-dkms_5.5.2.1-7~mx21+1_all.deb or a different one?

• ParrotOS iso in use:

• Application used for flashing the iso:

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

If it were me, I’d try building from source. But you may want a second opinion from someone more experienced.

sudo apt install bc module-assistant build-essential dkms
git clone https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce.git
cd rtl8821ce
sudo m-a prepare
sudo ./dkms-install.sh

If it doesn’t work, uninstall with

sudo ./dkms-remove.sh

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.