After the latest Kernel update 6.1.0-0.deb11.5-amd64, the Ethernet (wired) connection disappeared?

After the latest Kernel update 6.1.0-0.deb11.5, the Ethernet (wired) connection disappeared?

Only the wireless connection remained after the latest Kernel update 6.1.0-0.deb11.5??

How to reinstall the Ethernet (wired) connection again?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Parrot version in use

VERSION_ID=ā€œ5.2ā€
VERSION=ā€œ5.2 (Electro Ara)ā€
VERSION_CODENAME=ara

Kernel version
6.1.0-0.deb11.5-amd64

After the first install, the internet-connection was completely lost. Even the recovery-mode didnt work, so i had to re-install Parrotā€¦ After the install, i activated the VPN i had installed on my router, but after further update (after that) it crashed (again) That is, i lost the wired Ethernet-internet connection, (but) this time the wireless connection worked (still)ā€¦ But, (same thing) the wired Ethernet-connection is goneā€¦

I got the advice to clone this GitHub - zu1k/r8168: Linux device driver for Realtek Ethernet controllers (unofficial mirror) and manually installā€¦ (but again) im ā€œnewbieā€, im learning linux, and that may be, not easy (for me) first of all, i (really) dont know all the commands for Compiling a source, second the manual install for the Network, also (beyond my level of understanding/knowlege atm)ā€¦ :confused: well? it cant be ā€œonly meā€ that got this problem? its posted at (the other thread on the forum, relating to this Kernel-update-error), still the advice was ā€œmanually install/fixā€? As i said, its beyond my level of knowlege (atm)ā€¦ :confused:

Ethernet will normally ā€˜just workā€™ on most systems, if it worked on an earlier kernel, but doesnā€™t with the later kernel, then you would likely be correct in assuming its a driver problem.

The repo you linked too, you download to your computerā€¦
(you can choose ā€˜downloadā€™ and grab the zip file, once you have it, unzip it.
next, open a terminal then change directory into the root of the unzipped folderā€¦
then run the installer file;

cd /download_location/unzipped_driver_folder/

./autorun.sh
1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

Iā€™ve checked now again, the problem is that the ICON for the Ethernet/wired connection disappeared (during the Kernel-update). What was the cause of this, i dont know. But, after the kernel-update, icon for selecting the Ethernet/wired-connection disappeared, and, at the same time it auto-connected with the Wi-Fi/wireless network. My best guess is that was because i had installed a VPN on the Router (before). However if that Router/VPN-setting could affect/change the Networking-Icon, within ParrotOS i dont know if that is even possible (at all)ā€¦ So, question is now then how to even Re-install? the *Network-icon so i can select the Ethernet/wired connection, (because) right now, i cannotā€¦ OR, can the Network-icon only be found again by reinstalling the Network connection (as mentioned in your advice?) Thank you for the help/support!
Network

In the network connections window you have there, click on the + icon at bottom can you add your ethernet connection back?

Yes, i can create a new connection. I did that, created a new Ethernet/wired-connection, and even changed the ā€œconnection priorityā€ to 2, and the other Ethernet/wired-connection connection priority is 1, then the Wi-Fi/wireless connection priority 0. So, it should connect to the Ethernet/wired-connection first (with the highest priority). Problem is (still) its not connecting at all to the wired-connection, because the wired connection does not exist (at all) in the menu (in the Network menu/icon), even disable the wireless network, the Ethernet/wired connection does not exist at all (as an ā€œoptionā€ within the Network-connection menu)ā€¦ So, (obviously) the wired-connection ā€œoptionā€ is removed/non-existent (since the last kernel upgrade) in the Network-connection menu, and the question is still: How to re-install (or restore) that ā€œmenu/optionā€ for the Etherneet/wired-connection within the Network-connection icon/menu?:s

didnā€™t work. :frowning:

./autorun.sh

Check old driver and unload it.
Build the module and install
/home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src/r8168_n.c: In function ā€˜rtl8168_mac_loopback_testā€™:
/home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src/r8168_n.c:3717:17: error: implicit declaration of function ā€˜pci_dma_sync_single_for_deviceā€™; did you mean ā€˜dma_sync_single_for_deviceā€™? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
3717 | pci_dma_sync_single_for_device(tp->pci_dev,
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| dma_sync_single_for_device
/home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src/r8168_n.c: In function ā€˜rtl8168_init_boardā€™:
/home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src/r8168_n.c:26448:14: error: implicit declaration of function ā€˜pci_set_dma_maskā€™ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
26448 | !pci_set_dma_mask(pdev, DMA_BIT_MASK(64)) &&
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src/r8168_n.c:26449:14: error: implicit declaration of function ā€˜pci_set_consistent_dma_maskā€™ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
26449 | !pci_set_consistent_dma_mask(pdev, DMA_BIT_MASK(64))) {
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src/r8168_n.c: In function ā€˜rtl8168_init_oneā€™:
/home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src/r8168_n.c:26882:25: error: implicit declaration of function ā€˜netif_set_gso_max_sizeā€™; did you mean ā€˜netif_set_tso_max_sizeā€™? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
26882 | netif_set_gso_max_size(dev, LSO_32K);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| netif_set_tso_max_size
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-0.deb11.5-common/scripts/Makefile.build:255: /home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src/r8168_n.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-0.deb11.5-common/Makefile:2030: /home/zerofield/Downloads/r8168-master/src] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile:154: modules] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:41: modules] Error 2

Iā€™m sorry. But i still cannot access the Ethernet/wired connection, since the last Kernel update. Obviously, there is something wrong with the Network-manager. And i have no clue how to fix this? (How to get the Ethernet/wired connection back) since right now (as i said) after the last kernel update, the Ethernet/wired connection all of a sudden was lost, and it Autoconnected with the Wi-Fi/wireless connectionā€¦? :frowning:

I have even RE-installed Parrot 2 times. But the error is the same, (after each Kernel update)ā€¦ :confused:

sorry about this, this may be a very ā€œtrivial newbieā€-question? but i really wish to have the Ethernet/wired connection backā€¦ :frowning:

Network

Are you running this on ā€˜bare metalā€™ or in a VM?

In a VM then the ā€˜Wired Connectionā€™ you will see is a bridged virtual adapter that is passed through to the host machines network adapater. (even if that host is using WiFi itself)

If an Ethernet port is not ā€˜wired upā€™ to a router or swich, then it wonā€™t show as an available connection, is the Ethernet port plugged in?

Thank you for the reply.

Are you running this on ā€˜bare metalā€™ or in a VM?

Yes. (im not running a VM)ā€¦

I did a fourth re-installation (crazy yes), because i thought the error was because i had installed the VPN on the router, (that i deactivated, this time). So the error is not because of the VPN, the Ethernet/wired IS connected during the install-process, and also during the re-boot (after the install) BUT after ā€œsudo parrot-upgradeā€ (The Kernel-update), the Ethernet/wired connection is Goneā€¦ :frowning:

Run Synaptic and do a search for ā€œlinux-imageā€. You will see the installed kernel(s) are checked, including probably your earlier kernel, unless you uninstalled it. At the Grub2 boot menu, you can select the earlier kernel and boot up with it to make sure Ethernet works. I think linux-image-6.0.0-12parrot1-amd64 is the default kernel.

You can then manually set and update Grub to choose the older kernel. Or, I use

sudo apt install grub-customizer
sudo grub-customizer

to change default kernels.

1 Like

Yes. NOW I got the Ethernet/wired connection back! :smiley:

Thank you Masmer!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.