Audio not working

– Please Write here your help request, –
I disassembled my laptop and I have reassembled it again to clean it from dust and to upgrade the ram.

After the reassembly everything is working just fine except the audio.

I am using lenovo g580 laptop. If anyone knows what is the wires that is connected to the audio maybe its the issue maybe not I really don’t know.
note: its not the first time I have disassembled the laptop while using linux.

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):

• Kernel version (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type uname -r):

5.10.0-8parrot1-amd64

Fortunately I can pair my wireless headphones but it disconnects regularly I don’t why this was happening before and after the disassembly. If anyone has any idea on what can I do for the Bluetooth headphones please be my guest.

Some solutions I have tried.
networking - Sound not working on Ubuntu - Ask Ubuntu

https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=103547

there are some tiny audio connectors to the motherboard, most likely you forgot to connect
them ( eventually also 2 connectors on each side )

I did twice and got the laptop to a computer shop and he told me I unplugged it and plugged it again and there is no any hardware issue. So now I am 100% sure that its not from the connection or from the the hardware any ideas where is the problem?

which DE environment do you have, plasma ?

when i installed parrot i was using mate but then installed gnome and removed mate from the system. currently gnome

sorry I never used gnome.
Did Mate have audio?
Also I suppose you have now gdm as desktop manager then?
Try:
sudo apt update

sudo apt install --reninstall pulseaudio

sudo apt install --reinstall pavucontrol

apt-get install --reinstall alsa-utils

Yes mate had an audio and when i switched to gnome it also had an audio.
I tried doing the reinstalls but only alsa-utils had a problem.

sudo apt install --reinstall pavucontrol
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 146 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Err:1 https://free.nchc.org.tw/parrot rolling/main amd64 pavucontrol amd64 4.0-2
  Could not wait for server fd - select (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) [IP: 2001:e10:2000:240:e643:4bff:fee8:a63c 443]
E: Failed to fetch https://free.nchc.org.tw/parrot/pool/main/p/pavucontrol/pavucontrol_4.0-2_amd64.deb  Could not wait for server fd - select (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) [IP: 2001:e10:2000:240:e643:4bff:fee8:a63c 443]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

and then when I try to list the upgradable list I can see 7 things from the lib:

apt list --upgradeable
Listing... Done
lib32stdc++6/rolling 11.2.0-5 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.2.1-6]
libasan6/rolling 11.2.0-5 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.2.1-6]
libgomp1/rolling 11.2.0-5 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.2.1-6]
liblsan0/rolling 11.2.0-5 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.2.1-6]
libstdc++6/rolling 11.2.0-5 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.2.1-6]
libtsan0/rolling 11.2.0-5 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.2.1-6]
libubsan1/rolling 11.2.0-5 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.2.1-6]

and when I try to use full upgrade

sudo apt-get full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

sorry yes, you do:

sudo apt update --fix-missing

sudo apt upgrade

or, if you’re still stuck you also you can try:

sudo parrot-upgrade

Thank you so much for the help but I guess the speakers were damaged maybe during the process because I already tried updating and upgrading but still it didn’t find the speakers.

I guess I will continue using the laptop with a wireless headphones. Do you have any suggestion to improve my connection with the laptop other than installing the proper drivers? Because it also sometimes disconnects and sometimes lags/cut the sound.

Try with an other distro with higher kernel,. Startup a live CD and check, for Example RebornOs,
EndeavourOs, they come with higher kernels. Maybe it works.

1 Like

Sure I will try them

I believe my speakers were damaged because i tried (https://linux-hardware.org/?id=pci%3A8086-1e20-17aa-3977) some of the distrors that says it works but it doesn’t work. Anyways thank you so much as always it was fun to learn more and more about linux. loving it even when i am facing trouble lol. Now I move to the next issue how to connect my wireless headphones without it disconnecting. How can I mark it as closed case?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.