Boxes appearing on parrot OS

– Hi, Been a while since I have used parrot, but i am finally getting back into security again and I got it installed on my newly built workstation. To my disappointment, I seem to be having a weird graphical issue in which little boxes appear in certain places on the screen. This doesn’t happen if I boot with acpi off, but then I can’t shutdown properly or sleep the workstation. Any help with this is much appreciated. it was actually quite hard to grab a screenshot because the pixels would move when I tried.–

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION): I am using parrot 5.3

• Kernel version (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type uname -r): Kernel version 6.1

• **Screenshots:

Welcome to the forums
may be a graphics driver problem, please run inxi -G copy and paste back the result

here ya go: Graphics: Device-1: AMD Navi 22 driver: amdgpu v: kernel Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.20.11 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.5 renderer: AMD NAVY_FLOUNDER (DRM 3.49.0 6.1.0-1parrot1-amd64 LLVM 11.0.1)

Good morning.
Reading the INXI would I be correct in assuming this is a Radon 7900 series GPU?
This is extremely new, and therefore I can find very little information on it, One review I found did say that it works best on Kernel 6.2 or higher, the newest stable available direct from kernel.org is 6.4.4, so may be worth a try

I have an RX 6750 xt, I could look at a higher kernel and see if I would do better with graphics.

Their is a new driver out for that card released last month…http://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu-install/23.10.2/ubuntu/focal/amdgpu-install_5.5.50502-1_all.deb

Ah yes, I had seen that and installed it. I am confused on how I would go about installing this driver, as the command to install it says that it doesn’t recognize my distribution (it’s a package meant for Ubuntu).

its a .deb file and opens with the Debian installer [although it says Ubuntu it should work with any Debian based distribution]

Yes, I am aware that it should. But sadly, the following output happens when running amdgpu-install:

┌─[n3onkn1ght@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $amdgpu-install
Unsupported OS: /etc/os-release ID 'parrot'

Further more, I tried to trick it by changing the release name (worked for some packages back when I used ubuntu but didn’t have an LTS release for some things) it shows that I am missing a lot of dependencies that aren’t installable.

Good morning,
OK so I just did a test run on my system [parrot home] I downloaded the .deb package, opened my download file, RIGHT-clicked on the amdgpu folder, the first option is open with Deb installer, clicked on this, and entered password, and it installed in a few seconds. no messages or errors.

I was able to install fine as well, but I am still having the graphics issues, and I see on the website for AMD that I should run the amdgpu-install which is what then gives me the errors.

Run inxi -G again and check line 1 again to see if it has installed ok.

If you used the deb installer within your Parrot [as I did], then you do not need amdgpu-install [it’s for distributions that do not include the .deb installer] the Debian installer will automatically install any dependencies needed.
I am beginning to think the problem may lay elsewhere, what is the make and full model of your machine [or inxi -bz ]

System:
  Kernel: 6.1.0-1parrot1-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: MATE v: 1.24.1
    Distro: Parrot OS 5.3 (Electro Ara)
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: B550 PG Velocita
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: P2.40
    date: 10/19/2022
CPU:
  Info: 16-core AMD Ryzen 9 5950X [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2262
    min/max: 2200/5083
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 22 driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.20.11 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.5 renderer: AMD NAVY_FLOUNDER (DRM 3.49.0
    6.1.0-1parrot1-amd64 LLVM 11.0.1)
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169
  Device-2: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi
  Device-3: Realtek RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey] type: USB driver: rtl88x2bu
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 2.32 TiB used: 16.53 GiB (0.7%)
Info:
  Processes: 500 Uptime: 1m Memory: 31.27 GiB used: 1.77 GiB (5.7%)
  Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.26

I cannot spot anything wrong from your latest inxi.
Have you tried checking the connections to the monitor or possibly swapping the cable? [I have had cables go out on me in the past]

I have swapped the cables and the issue still persists. Also it is worth noting that I have both a windows and an arch installation on different drives on this desktop and I don’t have graphical issues. Would it be of any relevance at all to note that I don’t have these graphical issues when I boot with acpi pff?

Also one more thing I noticed very strange, I do not have this graphical issue on the firefox browser app, it’s like it happens with everything except it.

Hi @Ghost1

Just a wild pitch of a question… what is your output of

$XDG_SESSION_TYPE

yikes, it returns bash: x11: command not found

questionable on why an environment variable hasn’t been set correctly

Apologies. It’s

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

oh yes, I had forgotten myself about that. It returns x11.