Bumblebee GPU commands freeze system when gpu is powered off

Briefly describe your issue below:
Greetings,

I own an Asus Rog Strix Scar III - model G531GV which runs a side by side installation of Parrot OS together with the already installed Windows 10 OS.

After a lot of struggle and numerous hard resets, I managed to configure Bumblebee up to the point that optirun/primusrun commands work as they should (Not for all commands, primusrun nvidia-smi/lspci -k lead to a system freeze), use machine’s GPU, and when the command completes bbswitch kicks in and completely powers off GPU, that way power management support is in place.

cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch -> 0000:01:00.0 OFF

While that’s what I wanted to accomplish in the first place I soon realized that while GPU is powered off by bbswitch, any GPU related commands like:

nvidia-smi
lspci -k

etc, completely freeze my computer. The cursor stops responding, no shortcut that could drop me into any kind of TTY sessions work, and in general nothing works besides powering off the machine through power button. Moreover, I can’t even check what is getting recorded in syslog or elsewhere regarding this error since nothing is there when I reboot the computer.

My system specifics are the following:

Laptop model             : Asus Rog Strix Scar III - G531GV
Installed OS               : Parrot 4.9 64-bit (full updated)
Kernel                        : Linux 5.5.0-1parrot1-amd64 x86_64
Nvidia Gpu                 : RTX-2060 6GB
Nvidia-Drivers            : Latest - Proprietary 440.82
Bumblebeed Version : 3.2.1

I would be more than happy to issue any requested commands to finally overcome this nightmare. I’ve gone through numerous posts and forums and tried many different things like grub parameters but nothing seems to make a difference. I’m really stuck at this point for more than ten days or so. You guys are really my last resort, if Parrot community can’t help me get over this nightmare then no-one can.

Thank you all in advance.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Parrot 4.9 64-bit - Mate
What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Bootable ISO through USB Drive
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Yes - Windows 10
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
No
If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
Unfortunately this freeze condition possibly gives no time to system to record what went wrong…No logs available

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.