Cannot get Parrot OS 6 to boot from Rasberry pi 5

– Please Write here your help request –
I used Raspberry Pi Imager to install Parrot OS 6.0 on my Raspberry pi 5 8gb and it boots to a flashing _ and stops. No GUI. I tried installing on a sd card and a USB SSD both the home edition and the security edition and both had same result.

• ParrotOS iso in use:

• Application used for flashing the iso:

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

Having the same issue here. Tried both Raspberry Pi Imager and BalenaEtcher with my 256G SanDisk SD and cannot get it to boot. Just stays on the flashing underscore. Longest I have waited has been 15 minutes so far but the heat sink gets worryingly hot and the fan never kicks on, so I power it off.

Other operating systems work just fine, and I’d even settle for an older version of Parrot, but I cannot find the downloads for them.

Yep I encountered the same thing last night. Using a RPi5 8GB. Tried both the RPi Imager and BalenaEtcher and two MicroSD Cards both of which have been used previously to boot other OS’s (Kali) on the same RPi5.

I had the same issue, If you Ctrl-Atl-F1 it will take you to the cli. Seems to be some issue with the lightdm.service. I tried to resolve it by creating the missing directory with the correct permissions but no luck getting the UI working yet.

Had same issue. Found that if I used Imager Customization Settings to set Host name, account name & password and network SSID & password, it booted to a login screen. But the login took me to the command line prompt. Now I need to figure out how to get to the desktop screen with the pretty bird on it!

A viewer of this video - https://youtu.be/xokA1daDzuA?si=89iLGfeKDIg8iVqC - down in the comments was able to make it work on a SD card but not USB drive. I haven’t tried it myself though.

same here a flashing bar

These editions are only compatible with Raspberry Pi devices. Specifically, the following images were tested with version 3B, 4B and 400. The use of a Raspberry Pi 4 is strongly recommended, especially for the Security Edition.

cheers . . .

Any one managed to do it?

Currently we need to retrieve some packages from Debian Testing branch to get some essential “GUI” drivers to run Parrot on the Raspberry Pi 5. So you will have to wait a little longer. You could use the headless version (so you download the core/home/security edition, but only use the terminal).

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t mind waiting; just glad to have an honest answer. Any thoughts on a release date for Raspberry Pi 5 compatibility?

As soon as we have those packages I will update the Raspberry Pi edition. Maybe for Parrot 6.1/6.2.

1 Like

I downloaded the ParrotOS 6.0 Lorikeet Raspberry Pi Version Security Edition from here: https://www.parrotsec.org/download/ via the Normal Download option.

Next, I flashed it onto a 32 GB microSD card using the Pi Imager. I didn’t change any settings, just kept everything standard.

After that, I inserted it into a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and it worked fine, but when you insert the microSD into a Raspberry Pi 5, only the Console Edition will work.

So, I put it back into the Raspberry Pi 3B+ and connected to the internet. Then, I entered the following commands:

sudo raspi-config

Then, I set it to start only in console edition.

After rebooting, I entered:

sudo apt install gldriver-test
systemctl set-default graphical.target
sudo raspi-config

I set it back to boot into GUI mode.

After that, when I inserted the microSD back into the Pi 5, everything worked.

There are many ways to Rome, and this is the way that worked for me.

same here, I got a flashing underscore for about 20minutes… glad for the response and that the folks at ParrotSec have acknowledged this and also working on it. I had to get another memory card as I initially thought the one I was using had bad memory blocks. but the theory was eliminated when it worked with Rasp and Kali linux