Default Window Manager unsupported

– Please Write here your help request, –
When I open Control Center and click on Window Manager I get en warning message: Current Window Manager is unsupported. The top panel disappeared in every window. I cant control windows. How do I fix it? Is it possible to reinstall default Window Manager in Parrot OS?

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):
    VERSION_ID=“5.3”
    VERSION=“5.3 (Electro Ara)”
    VERSION_CODENAME=ara

• Kernel version (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type uname -r):
    6.1.0-1parrot1-amd64

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

It looks like ParrotOS uses tty7 as the GUI terminal
If you can’t get a terminal window to open from withing the GUI, you will have to switch to one of the text based terminals.

If this is a virtual machine (I’m running mine as a VM on the VMware Hypervisor) check your hypervisor’s manual on how you send the command to switch terminal. Normally (as a real machine) that would be CTRL+Fx (some function key).

To send that command to my VM I use CTRL+ALT+Fx.
Virtualbox uses the same key sequence but I’m not familiar with other hypervisors.

The specific Function key will probably be any of the Function keys F1 - F6.

That should bring you to a plain text terminal.
Login and try reinstalling your base GUI

sudo apt install desktop-base should do the trick

then switchback to tty7 and you should get the login manager.
Click the white circle next to your name (you may have to click “switchuser” first) and make sure you select the DE you prefer to use
login and you should be fine.

1 Like

Hi PRN, the command desktop-base did nothing. I tried to install KDE desktop environment and it did the job.

sudo apt update && sudo apt install parrot-desktop-kde

O.

glad you got it up and running again.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.