Deleted my network card driver

Briefly describe your issue below:
I was having issues with my wireless card continually dropping from my network. In trying to update the driver for the built in wireless card (broadcom BCM2046b1) i deleted the driver completely
Wireless Card

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)

My skill lvl with this is still fairly low but I have spent the last 3 days researching trying to find a solution but I am coming up blank.
I have searched and serched for a driver to download but I haven’t had any luck.
I believe the best solutions i found were here

Option 1 suggested the following command;

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree

which generates the following error msg

E: Unable to locate package linux-firmware-nonfree

I’m not sure how to adapt this to parrot (or if it even needs to be adapted)

Option 2 suggested the following command;

apt-get install linux-image-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') broadcom-sta-dkms

which generates the following error msg;

┌─[✗]─[r3d@parrot]─[/usr/src]
└──╼ $sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.19.0-parrot1-$(uname -r|sed ‘s,[^-]-[^-]-,’) linux-headers-4.19.0-parrot1-$(uname -r|sed ‘s,[^-]-[^-]-,’) broadcom-sta-dkms
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
linux-headers-4.19.0-parrot1-20t-amd64 is already the newest version (4.19.20-2parrot1.20t).
linux-image-4.19.0-parrot1-20t-amd64 is already the newest version (4.19.20-2parrot1.20t).
broadcom-sta-dkms is already the newest version (6.30.223.271-10).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
┌─[r3d@parrot]─[/usr/src]
└──╼ $modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb brcmsmac bcma
┌─[r3d@parrot]─[/usr/src]
└──╼ $modprobe wl
modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.0-parrot1-20t-amd64

upon reboot still nothing.

any suggestions/guidance on where to from here? Also I’m not sure what i might have missed with distro specific commands that may need to be included?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
4.19.20 (i think) Security,
What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Standard - etcher boot USB

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
https://community.parrotsec.org/t/need-help-problem-with-wifi/6707
If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

I’m not sure what you mean by “accidentally deleted” the driver, especially considering the process the update any package is vastly from removing it, I’d be interested in knowing what exactly the stops you took were…
But in any case resolving the issue should be as simple as reinstalling the firmware package with the appropriate modules. I would guess one of the broadcom firmware pkg’s( firmware-brcom80211 firmware-b43, etc.). Obviously you should check for the one that has support for your chip assuming their is one in the repository.

Thanks for the reply,
The “accident” was more stupidity. I used ‘rm’ on the broadcom directory in usr/src/ when thought it was the wrong one…

lspci shows;

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)

while lsusb show the previously stated;

i used the following command from this thread;
sudo apt update && sudo apt install broadcom-sta-dkms
but this just shows the package is already installed and up to date;

┌─[r3d@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo apt update && sudo apt install broadcom-sta-dkms
[sudo] password for r3d:
Get:1 Index of /parrot/ parrot InRelease [14.6 kB]
Fetched 14.6 kB in 1s (20.4 kB/s)
Building dependency tree
35 packages can be upgraded. Run ‘apt list --upgradable’ to see them.
Building dependency tree
broadcom-sta-dkms is already the newest version (6.30.223.271-10).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 35 not upgraded.

I think the card is supported and I would “assume” (yes I know what that makes me) that the firmware would be in the repository given that it seems fairly common… however, I’m struggling with the correct command/syntax to retrieve/find firmware. I am a still a complete noob.

Any help would be appreciated

As i’ve read in this URL, BCM4360 should be in broadcom-sta-dkms package so i guess it is blacklist problem
https://wiki.debian.org/wl

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.