diff between initrd.img-5.18.0-14parrot1-amd64 & initrd.img-6.0.0-12parrot1-amd64

– Please Write here your help request –

i have a notebook running ParrotSec and on another ESXi machine a VM running ParrotSec.

the notebook loads vmlinuz-5.18.0-14parrot1-amd64/initrd.img-5.18.0-14parrot1-amd64
but the VM loads vmlinuz-6.0.0-12parrot1-amd64/initrd.img-6.0.0-12parrot1-amd64.

on the VM there is a submenu entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg for " submenu ‘Advanced options for Parrot GNU/Linux’ " > " menuentry 'Parrot GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.18.0-14parrot1-amd64 ". the VM runs fine on either initrd.img-* .

curious to what is the difference between vmlinuz-5.18.0-14parrot1-amd64 and vmlinuz-6.0.0-12parrot1-amd64 ?
& wondering if i used the wrong the iso for the VM ?

• ParrotOS iso in use:

• Application used for flashing the iso:

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

vmlinuz is your initial boot environment, the bootstrapper that finds and boots Parrot OS.

Whenever you upgrade a system, and it installs a newer kernel version (in this case from kernel 5.18 to kernel version 6) it will update vmliniuz so it now uses the newer kernel to boot with.

The older entry is your still installed earlier kernel version, in case the system didn’t boot with the newer kernel, you cn roll back to the working one and fix it.

thanks for reply. i understand that. guess i was wondering why one machine updated to, from 5.18.0 to 6.0.0 and one machine updated from 5.18.0 to 5.19.0. if i would have looked a little harder at it, i don’t think i would have been as concerned with the diff between these machines boot cfg. your reply helped, so it was worth posting.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.