MATE 1.20.4

Debian standard

multi boot:- yes

Not able to install Oracle jdk 8

next i tried
$sudo apt install software-properties-common

$sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
but still error

so any other way to install "Oracle java 8 " in Parrot 4.5???

Hello, thank you for having reported that.

Parrot OS already includes JAVA 11 jre and jdk. If you don’t have it by default, then use the following command to install it:

sudo apt update
sudo apt -y install default-jdk

NEVER add PPA repositories to parrot, they are developed for ubuntu and do not work on debian derivatives.

I need to make you some questions before helping you further as i need to better understand your specific needs:

1. does my previous solution suit your needs? does java work as expected after installing default-jdk?

2. is there any specific reason to have java 8 over java 11?

3. is there any specific reason to have oracle jdk over openjdk?

4. are you following the steps of some sort of tutorial/course? if yes, could you link it here? are you trying to install a specific software?

1 Like

in the previous verson(Parrot 4.4) Bluej had installed successfully but didnt run with open jdk8(Pre installed) but after installing Oracle jdk8 Bluej was running fine. And after i had installed Parrot 4.5 i am facing the same problem so i am trying to install Oracle jdk8, But i am facing errors…

I tried it still Bluej is not openning/running

you answered none of my questions

anyways i installed bluej from their deb package and it does not need oracle java, it can work properly with openjdk 8, but it seems to require some additional steps as their launcher is broken and does not implement the proper debian paths for the jdk. moreover it seems to lack support for recent java versions, and openjfx does not work properly as the software seems to be outdated.

please use a true java development environment like intellij idea, vscodium or apache netbeans while they update bluej and make it compatible with modern technologies

I have not encountered many Java issues that were not addressable by supplying the full path to java to the script… where ever it wants java, prepend it with the full path to java, and Bob’s yer uncle, Fanny’s yer aunt…

default-jre and default-jdk point to java 11 openjdk bundle (respectively openjdk-11-jre and openjdk-11-jdk

you can also use the following packages to install java 8

openjdk-8-jre and openjdk-8-jdk

as you may imagine, installing the jdk packages will install the jre packages automatically as their implicit dependency

you can keep both java versions (default will be 11) and then choose to run specific programs with the proper version if they are not able to pick it automatically, just play around with /usr/lib/jvm/

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.