External monitor. My fantasy with Parrot...

Hello everyone, I hope you are well, after reading and re-reading threads about the use of an external monitor and the original documentation, out of desperation I must turn to your wisdom, I would like to be able to continue using Parrot but if this problem does not solve I will be forced to do without him :frowning:

The computer is an MSI with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 and an Intel Core i7-9750H. I w9ill share much as many info as I can, I will share all the steps I made also I will attach as many details as I can so maybe someone will like to help me. Lets start.

I followed official instructions: Official Parrot Doc

• Nouveau is Blacklisted.
  • Bumbleblee is configured.
  • After this initial configurations I test the drivers using:

watch nvidia-smi
optirun hashcat -b -d 1

• It works as in process it shows Hashcat and it shows some optimal performance.

• After that I tried with this tutorial . Output wired to the NVIDIA chip:

1. sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
  2. copy this : https://pastebin.com/Z1WzhX7A
  3. sudo nano /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
  4. erase the content of /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
  5. copy this: Section “ServerLayout” Identifier “Layout0” Option "AutoAddDevic - Pastebin.com
  6. Reboot
  7. Connect HDMI cable
  8. optirun intel-virtual-output
  • I can not open Nvidia X Server Settings.
  • When I connect the second monitor it gets buggy, sometimes it switch on but it shows only a black screen.

Parrot version in use

VERSION_ID=“5.3”
VERSION=“5.3 (Electro Ara)”
VERSION_CODENAME=ara

Kernel version

6.1.0-1parrot1-amd64

Screenshots:

I will really appreciate any help honestly, I’ve tried so many things, I reinstalled the Drivers too, but I can not make it to work, personally, working with a big external monitor is much more efficient for me. Also I hope that this post will help someone to check how to configure the nvidia drivers and use and external monitor.

Thank to everyone, please help me I like the SO, is very light and works fine for me but I might need to install Debian soon for this purpose

There are something i want to sort it out first:

1. Hashcat doesn’t really mean something here. I meant yeah it showed the tool made the graphic card work but it’s not very important. the nvidia-smi is enough
  2. I don’t use bumblebee at all. In fact, it gave me errors when I tried so it’s in my “do not install” list.

Solution for the external problem (and it’s not the Parrot’s specific issue. It depends on Nvidia’s driver so it’s a problem of GNU/Linux in general):

1. In the very end of the topic, I have a command to make the external monitor works. Did you try it first? (without bumblebee ofc)
  2. If it doesn’t work then the solution is wait for Parrot 6. As I mentioned, I tested and things went well.

Thank you for your reply @dmknght .

I used to run this command every time that I wanted to switch on the external monitor:

• optirun intel-virtual-output

The problem is that the screen doesnt show up properly, sometimes it shows only 50%, other times has a bad resolution.
If I click on top on the right corner on “Configure display settings” is very buggy, it detects the screen but cant work with it.
Is sad because the first day was working a little bit but nowadays seems imposible to set up everything.

So have you tested parrot 6? Works everything well up there? Thats a very good new for me, I really like Parrot as is a Debian based and it has very good base for pentesters.

Thank you a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.