Freezing on/shortly after login - Driver issues?

I’ve installed ParrotOS 4.10 on a Dell Latitude 7280 and I’m getting a bunch of freezing on the login screen or shortly after I login. From the research I’ve done and other trial/error I’ve ALMOST come to the conclusion that the issue is driver related, but I’m not 100% on it.

If I use the built-in nouveau OFF option in Grub it seems the freezing goes away for a while, but eventually comes back which has me very confused. I’ve followed the Bumblebee tutorial minus installing Bumblebee because I don’t think it’s needed in my case and I don’t want extra software installed that I won’t utilize. This helped but ultimately resulted in freezing again.

Since I can’t do much work in the DE, I’ve tried blacklisting the open source Nvidia drivers and updating the proprietary Nvidia drivers, but I still experience freezing after this. I also ran apt remove --purge nvidia* and reinstalled via apt install nvidia-driver and that didn’t help either. This is why I’m a little confused and why I’m not 100% on this being a driver issue.

I ran MemTest on my laptop and it came back clean, so no issues there. I’ve also ran the built-in Dell Diagnostics and nothing came back on my SSD, but I’d like to look into some ways I can run scans on my SSD like I did with MemTest just to rule it out completely.

Any suggestions or help with this?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.