Further errors on upgrading to 6.5.0 kernel

Hi, everyone, I’ve been using this distro for quite a while now for both recreational and professional purposes, meaning that I’m used to see the support and upgrade issues that ParrotOS tends to cause depending on your hardware and drivers.

A few weeks ago I ventured into trying the new repositories and major upgrade for the system but I encountered the same issue that some users found when upgrading to Linux kernel 6.5 (Errors on upgrading to 6.5.0 kernel).

Problem is, I followed the same troubleshooting and fixed the installation so I can run Parrot on this kernel version, however, what is not brought up is that the package linux-headers-6.5.0-3parrot1-amd64 still cannot be installed, meaning that you can upgrade the system but not the drivers for developing purposes, meaning that if you intend using virtualisation, for example VMWare or VBox, you’ll need this package installed. In my case whenever I try to manually install this package I get the following error:

'make' -j16 KVER=6.5.0-3parrot1-amd64 KSRC=/lib/modules/6.5.0-3parrot1-amd64/build....(bad exi
t status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.5.0-3parrot1-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/realtek-rtl8188eus/5.3.9~git20230101.f8ead57/build/make.log for more inf
ormation.
Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.
Refer to previous errors for more information.
dkms: autoinstall for kernel: 6.5.0-3parrot1-amd64 failed!
run-parts: /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms exited with return code 11
Failed to process /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-6.5.0-3par
rot1-amd64.postinst line 11.
dpkg: error processing package linux-headers-6.5.0-3parrot1-amd64 (--configure):
 installed linux-headers-6.5.0-3parrot1-amd64 package post-installation script subprocess retu
rned error exit status 1

After taking a look at the specific command in the makefile that causes the issue I tried running it manually in bash:

run-parts --report --exit-on-error --arg="6.5.0-3parrot1-amd64" /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d

Getting the exact same result. It is important to note that I’m doing this while running Parrot with the kernel version 6.1.0, which is stable on me. I started suspecting this could be a drivers issue as my computer uses a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060, which I noticed Parrot still upgrades with an outdated version of its drivers (525.125.06 compared to 535.129.03 which was released on August this year).

Any help will be appreciated, as I’d like to debug the dkms without having to do anything myself as this means touching very sensitive stuff.

That is a problematic module for all debian based systems, and not needed;

deleting the old not installable packages will fix it use:

sudo apt remove realtek-rtl8188eus-dkms

sudo apt autoclean && sudo apt autoremove

reboot and try again.

2 Likes

Thanks Fred, worked for me too

realtek is not the only DKMS that is not compatible with kernel 6.5. If you are having RTX, i’d suggestion either stick with 6.1 or install the latest Nvidia version on their homepage with kernel 6.5

1 Like

Dude thanks so much. I swear some people are geniuses lol.
This worked like a charm and I’m now running 6.5.0. No kernel panic at boot.

Again thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.