fwupdmgr update , AND: exim4 -bP spool_directory , were trying to access port 53. Is it normal?

Hello,
While I was away from pc - usr/bin/fwupdmgr update AND: usr/sbin/exim4 -bP spool_directory , tried to access port 53.
This was uncalled for, and I don’t know what to do about it.
Does anybody know if this is ok and NORMAL , that these thing run automatically?
It’s only after last update that I became aware to port monitoring, maybe these things were running before, that I never knew about.
Please advise.
Thank you in advanced!

(posting under “update” tag, because I found that fwupdmgr has something to do with firmware update)

Parrot version in use
VERSION_ID=“6.0”
VERSION=“6.0 (lorikeet)”
VERSION_CODENAME=lory

Kernel version
6.5.0-13parrot1-amd64

That is the firmware update manager.

That is exim trying to send a system email (usually to root, or a configured central server) as a form of notification about a system change.

Port 53 is just a DNS lookup for one or both of those commands. Everything is normal.

You don’t really need those packages so you can uninstall them if you want. I usually uninstall exim4.

Thank you for your prompt reply @Masmer
Yes, meanwhile I read about these two and figured the later is some sort of mailing daemon (freaked me out a bit, TBH!)
I think I don’t mind them residing in my system, especially the exim4 - might be needed by something else or in the future? But now that opensnitch is enabled, since last system update, I feel much more secure (I didn’t know that one, and I love it!)
Now I understand that I can ignore (block) their calls and nothing bad should happen. Thank you.

1 Like