Grub-install

– Please Write here your help request –

• ParrotOS iso in use:

• Application used for flashing the iso:

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

Command ‘Grub-install --target=i386-pc recheck --force dev/sda’ returned non-zero exit status 127.
/usr/sbin/chroot: failed to run command ‘grub-install’ : No such file or directory

Traceback

File =/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py". line 477, in run prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

File “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py”. line 449 , in prepare _bootloader install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

File “” , line 4 , in

Hi @CyberGray

Is this on a laptop, desktop, or virtual machine? Which Parrot ISO are you running? Are you using UEFI or BIOS?

I would go into the BIOS to shut off Secure Boot.

This secure boot is not what i find;
I have Mecer desktop 64bit

This can really be my problem but i dont find this secure boot to disable it…

Please give commands i can try to reach it…

This is a old box so it must be Bios
Can’t we chat on what’sApp, Facebook, Twitter, discord or telegram?!

I searched the forum and see a number of people have had the same error, with no resolution. I know there are more posts from others who had your issue, but they posted screenshots (instead of text like you did) which the forum search can’t filter.

I would say if you tried installing Parrot 5.2, try Parrot 5.1 (which you can always update to 5.2 online). Offhand I don’t know what the issue is or how to fix it. Secure Boot is not supported by most Linux versions which is why that was my first guess of an answer.

I’m not a Linux guru (yet), so hopefully someone who knows how to help you with this issue will post more help. I do know that Parrot 5.2 has issues (like formatting the file system with BTFS, which makes Parrot “unbootable” after installing and rebooting).

I’m about to leave for 3 days. Hopefully your Mecer is running Parrot when I get back. :thinking:

https://deb.parrot.sh/parrot/iso/

I have my screenshots how can i show you or post them here…

Depending on how oild the box is, it may not even have secure boot as a BIOS option, what age is the PC?

Anyway, if you only want Parrot installed on it, and your not trying to dual boot with Windows, burn a installation ISO to DVD (is it that old?), or create a bootable USB from an ISO with Balena Etcher.

Boot from the live image, don’t immediately try and install Parrot, especially if your overwriting an old Windows NTFS disk, instead, launch GParted, in GPasrted, delete ALL partitions you find on the hard drive you want to install Parrot on, then format the entire drive as FAT32, reboot the PC and then next time you boot from the live image the Parrot install should go smoothly.

Masmer, this is not a Parrot issue per se, but a general issue with all Linux distros, installing on a Mac or Windows, they already have a UEFI boot partition, and Parrot cannot write to it, so deleting all partitions on the disk, and then formatting the disk to FAT32 so Parrot (or any other Linux) can see it and work with it to create its own partitions is always the solution!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.