GRUB2/Boot Prob - Win10/PSec-4.4 Dual

Briefly describe your issue below:

What version of Parrot are you running? Parrot Security OS 4.4

What method did you use to install Parrot? Debian GTK + Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? Yes

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

HI all,

I have come to accept I am now out of my depth and need some advice on a starting point to resolve my boot issues.

In brief, I have been running a dual boot Win10/PSec setup for pretty much all 2018, updating regularly to the new versions and it’s been great.

I installed Parrot 4.4 today as a fresh install having made mistakes and learning lessons with the previous installation. I wiped the ext3 and swap partitions and formatted as a basic volume through Win10 - leaving me a fresh unallocated 100GB continuous free space.

Went through the GTK installer, took the guided partitioning install to largest continuous free space and let the installer do it’s thing - no errors were raised.

Upon boot “Error unknown filesystem” and a grub2 recovery> prompt.

I can ctrl+alt+del and bot into my BIOS and start Parrot and it runs wonderfully, as does my Win10 Partition.

I hope you will take my word that I have investigated thoroughly all the varieties of solutions to this problem offered on GRUB2 wiki, I have used a live USB of Super GRUB2 to investigate further and finally a Rescatux live USB to attempt to fix this problem - all to no avail.

If I am honest, I no longer have a clear direction in mind - is the problem with GRUB or boot or UEFI or maybe even all three now that I have been poking around LOL

I am just trying to scrape together a partition map through windows - the one thing I do think is strange is my /boot partition as setup through Parrot install is only 1.0MB…

Read this

Okay guys, thank you both for taking the time to reply but honestly you shouldn’t have bothered.

Looking at my post I accept it’s a lot to read:

PLEASE ASSUME I HAVE LOOKED AT EVERYTHING THAT IS AVAILABLE ON LINE THAT DEALS WITH THIS ISSUE GENERALLY.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT I HAD A DUAL BOOT SYSTEM WORKING FOR THE BEST PART OF A YEAR WITH NO MISHAPS

Therefore I do not need the beginner’s guide to installing a dual boot system and we can also assume my secure boot setting did not somehow switch from off to on by way of artificial intelligence or a visit from Harry Potter.

The obvious reasoning is installing Parrot 4.4 broke the GRUB2 and really I’m hoping one of the team will have a look and address this issue because there are a lot of threads popping up about dual boot issues with the installation of 4.4.

In the meantime tonight I am going to roll back to 4.3 and if all is good again then we will be certain as to what the problem is.

Cheers