How to dual boot mac os with parrot linux

Hello i need help dual booting my macos high sierra with parrot linux on my macbook pto 2017, anybody available to help me out?

Hey @stevendolly I’lll be around if you wanna walk through it.

sure, how do i connect with you?

Hey man, sorry I got busy with work and fell off the forum for a couple of days. You can message me here, I also use Discord for chat if that works better. Let me know if you still want to walk through a duel boot on your mac :slight_smile:

i got this error after setup disk partition when installing
check screenshoot via this link https://ibb.co/wNJ8YG5

i noticed it was cause my flash drive was creating a mount point at the root, and i need to use the root mount point for my parrot, i even tried using another flash drive but still the same. check this link to view a screenshot https://ibb.co/g6tpqRZ

Thanks for your quick response

Ok. So first thing you’re gonna need to do is backup everything on your hard drive.

We need to create this backup because re-partitioning your Mac’s hard drive will require us to wipe everything off it. After you have a backup (or two or three), we can start rebuilding your partitions.

But before we do anything crazy, let’s save ourselves some headaches and make sure that the firmware password is turned off.

Since you’re already booting into the Debian installer (your screenshots) this probably won’t be an issue, but doesn’t hurt gaining familiarity with the macOS recovery tools. Once we know that there are no firmware locks, boot into Recovery mode and enter Disk Utility.

1 Like

Ok, after this what next?

Next you are going to boot your mac into recovery mode and launch the Disk Utility App. Find the highest level drive (make sure to select ‘All Devices’ from the little drop down menu up in the top-left hand corner) that Disk Utility will allow you to Erase (there should be a button front and center in the UI labeled “Erase”).

Erase your hard drive, and select a GUID partition table as the Formatting Option, and let it do its thing. Since you’re not losing possession of the device you probably can select the lowest level, 0, of security when running the erase. Anything higher will just take forever and perform I/O operations on every bit which wears down NVMe drives. Plus re-installing two operating systems will probably re-write enough of the previously used bits to consider it fine.

Congratulations!. You’ve nuked your Macbook Pro. Welcome to being a grown up :slight_smile:

Ok now you’re going to partition that newly erased SSD. Find the partitioning tool in Disk Utility. Make two partitions. Disk Utility is going to try and persuade you to use Volumes instead. Tell Disk Utility to go eat bricks and parition that drive right down the middle Old Testament style. Partition 1 will be formatted with an Apple APFS partition, and partition 2 will use ExFAT.

Go back to the main Disk Utility page, and you should see your two new drives. Select the APFS volume, and choose the path of lease resistance that ends with installing macOS onto it (probably installing over the network). Follow the instructions, and grab that backup you made before you started all this for when it asks if you wanna import your data.

Login to your new macOS install, take a breath of that fresh macOS install synthesized air, and then shutdown the computer. Not like, Apple -> Shutdown I mean mash that power button down till you hear the fans die.

You know the rest. Boot into a Parrot Live USB, choose installer from the boot menu, and choose guided install for that empty ExFAT partition.

There’ll be issues and crashes and failures throughout this entire process. Pay attention to your error messages. And don’t listen to anything you read on Apple Support forums. Or maybe it’ll install and boot without a hitch sometimes that also happens :laughing:

Good luck. Hit me up if anything starts smoking or High Sierra is winning the fight for self-preservation on your laptop. :v:

3 Likes

thanks bro, i was able to install the parrot, but noticed my keyboard and mouse is not working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.