How to Recompile For WiFi Adapters?

Briefly describe your issue below:

After update, I cant use WiFi because my adapters won’t connect to the internet. I am trying to recompile the kernel now, but I am having issues.

My other post is here: Best Way to Update HP? Vendor, Debian, or Kernel? - #2 by Kamakazee

It seems like other people are experiencing this same issue:

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

static.tp-link.com

Installation%20for%20linux%20driver_MTK.PDF

922.92 KB

This did not work for me

This is an article showing how to get ALFA up and working. I’ve used these steps in the past and was able to fix the issue, however it did not fix it this time for me.

Medium – 18 Mar 18

How to get your new 5 GHz wireless penetration gear up and working

What new wireless .ac cards work with the latest rolling Kali release

Reading time: 9 min read

Another solution that did not work for me: 16.04 - Alfa AWUS1900 driver support - Ask Ubuntu

This is for the Realtek RTL8812AU, however it did not work for me

github.com

astsam/rtl8812au/blob/master/README.md

# RTL8812AU/21AU and RTL8814AU linux driver with monitor mode and frame injection
The master branch is based on https://github.com/ulli-kroll/rtl8821au branch v4.3.22-beta/rework.
According to rtw_version.c the real driver version is 4.3.20.

The branch v4.3.21 may be built for RTL8814AU or RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU chipset. 

for building RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU driver type:

`$ make`

for building RTL8814 driver type:

`$ make RTL8814=1`

for building driver with debug output type:

`$ make DEBUG=1`

This file has been truncated. show original

This did not work for me: How to Install a TP-LINK Adapter on Linux Ubuntu - Home Network Community

This driver could supposedly be used as an alternative in some cases, but it did not work for me: GitHub - jeremyb31/rtl8192eu-linux-driver: Drivers for the rtl8192eu chipset for wireless adapters (D-Link DWA-131 rev E1 included!)

Here are some good troubleshooting methods on Debian’s page
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Although my wifi adapter is specifially stated on here as the ONLY tested and confirmed device to work- nope! lol it doesn’t! (TP-Link TL WN821N )

So then I went to parrot docs about how to recompile the kernel.
https://docs.parrotlinux.org/trbl/custom-kernel/

I have been trying since last night. I am getting errors when I try to recompile. I am going to use these directions now The Linux Kernel documentation — The Linux Kernel documentation

The ones listed under parrot doc are not working for me, and most likely I am the one doing it wrong lol. But the first sentences from parrot doc state this about why someone would need to recompile the kernel:

Why would someone need to recompile the ParrotOS kernel.Maybe someones wants the kernel to handle special hardware,maybe optimize the boot time by removing useless drivers,maybe to create a monolithic kernel instead of a modularized one,maybe to run a newer or in development kernel,maybe to add new patches,drivers or kernel features that are not included in the stock ParrotOS kernel.Or maybe just to learn more about Linux kernels.Whatever is the case the follwing guide will show you how to do it.

Also, because Parrot uses Debian and Debian says this:

"Availability of compatible WiFi chipsets

Currently there are only a few modern wifi chipsets readily available that work with free software systems. For USB wifi devices this list includes the Realtek RTL8187B chipset (802.11G) and the Atheros AR9170 chipset (802.11N). For Mini PCIe all cards with an Atheros chipset are supported"

On this list from Debian WiFi - Debian Wiki your device should be able to work. However, it also says the same for my TP Link and tht is not the case.

I am going to try to recompile the kernel. It seems that is the only way. Has anyone successfully done this yet?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.