I forgot my master decrypt key

Good day I forgot my master decrypt key because I have not used my system in a while and I reverted the bootable drive back to a regular usb so reinstalling it afresh is not an option…could I use grub rescue to change or forget the passphrase

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):

• Kernel version (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type uname -r):

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

Hey Dhaq,
by decrypt key, I assume you mean that you’ve encrypted your entire drive/partion/volume (depending on how you initially configured your storage…) ?

If so… I hope you do not have anything valuable on the drive. There is no way to recover the key beyond brute force attempts. Disk encryption is done at the device level, not the filesystem level.

Hopefully, you’ve use a weak password or one you’ve used before and can start a list of tried ad failed passwords so you don’t keep repeating yourself.

Does anyone else know if the default encryption on ParrtoOS have a failed attempt limit? I think the default is 3 attempts before you have to reboot and reset but I’m not sure you have other flags you can use to limit total number of attempts.

Here’s a link that explains the difference between file encryption and full disk encryption with the pro’s and con’s:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.