Install problem on Lenovo S205

Hello

For several days I try to install Parrot OS to my Lenovo IdeaPad S205 onto a brand new SSD. The Live-System runs well but every time I try to install Parrot OS the system runs into the same error:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Parrot --force
I tried several partition setups (automaticly by Parrot OS, custom setup with and without FAT32 EFI partition) and everytime the same situation.

Also a bunch of different flashing options were I’ve tried (Rufus, Etcher and Ventoy) but always the same result. The Parrot OS version always the latest 6.0.

To be honest, I ran out of ideas for solving this problem.

Maybe some one in this forum can help me.

Thank you in advance

Didi

P.S.: It seems to be a problem with the Lenovo S205 and I try to get help in their forum either.

Hello @Didi

Sorry to hear that. I looked around and as you said, many have this issue running Linux on this device. I may be wrong, but it looks like the IdeaPad requires a 32-bit BIOS boot and has issues with UEFI.

One person having this issue was able to install 32-bit Linux Mint 19.3 on their S205 and boot up the system with BIOS.

https://mirror.cs.pitt.edu/linuxmint/iso/stable/19.3/

Hi Masmer

Thanks for the hint with the 32-bit version. I prefer Debian more than Ubuntu or derivates of it so I’ve decided to give a try for Debian 12 in 32-bit version and it works :slight_smile:
Only thing is I installed Gnome and it’s very slow and I think about a re-install with Mate or XFCE.

It’s a real pitty for me Parrot OS discontinues the support for 32-bit versions but I understand it. 32 bit systems are out dated and no longer common.

Anyway, many thanks mate.

1 Like

Glad it worked for you!

Since I have two 32-bit netbooks with low stats, I have a collection of 32-bit Linux OS. Debian is probably all you need with XFCE. But even that will run slow on old hardware. Here is a shortened list of ~up-to-date 32-bit Linux. I have older distros like Ubuntu 18.04 and others in the “old” directory…

1 Like

Thank you Masmer for your efford and I’m appriciate about it.

After a long period of fails I get it to work :slight_smile: but “only” Debian 12, not Parrot OS :frowning:

Your tip guides me to the right way. I couldn’t imagine that a complete 64-bit system got a 32-bit BIOS only but it’s the case at my Lenovo S205.

So I try to explain the solution it in short:
First install the 64-bit Debian 12 and this will abort at installing the Grub bootloader. Just continue without the GRUB and finish the installing process. I removed the installation media and plug a live media (also 64-bit Debian 12) back in. Right at the start choose advanced settings and the repair option. Select the FAT32 partition of the EFI loader (in my case /dev/sda1) and get two times chroot (1st time shows ~# and 2nd one the prompt shows only #) and enter update-grub. After few seconds it’s done and you can leave the prompt with exit (also 2 times). That was the trick in my case. Now the laptop runs the 64-bit Debian 12 with an 32-bit GRUB bootloader.

I can’t explain why it works but it does and that’s the main thing for me.

Many thanks and kind regards

Didi

1 Like