Iso installation failed, failure to install grub

When I tried to install Parrot via usb, manually partitioned,
installation process is interrupted with message; ‘failed to run command’ grub-install’, no such file or directory’.

• ISO version: Parrot Home-5.0.1 amd64

• **Application used for flashing the iso: Etcher
    I firstly used Rufus, but it didn’t install, like this one (I think that it had another/different problem). Widows recognized ins. usb made in rufus as ParrotOS iso. After that one didn’t work, i overwritten that iso with new one using Etcher. Widows doesn’t recognize this iso, it shows usb as two separate usbs with names E and F, it can’t read F but can E, it looks like GRUB files are there. The usb model is Kensington DataTraveler 100 G3, 32 gb size.

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

What is the cause of problem and how to fix it?

1 Like

Welcome to the forums
I take it this was a Windows 8/10 machine, and you now want to install Linux to it,

do you intend to keep windows on this machine? if not make sure you disable windows quick start [it won’t work with Linux anyway] and if you’re keeping windows will stop Linux booting.
If you are new to Linux and you are only going to run it without windows on this machine, don’t mess about doing your own partitioning, let the inbuilt partition manager do it for you.
Your Kensington DataTraveler [unless old and well-used] should be fine as it is a reasonable quality one
when you downloaded and burnt the ISO to pen-drive, did you check the Sha sum?

No, that was parrot os machine that I bricked a few months ago, I saw new versions of Linux kernel PREEMPT_RT and signed kernel and foolish me decided to try them out. I didn’t realize that it was only for UEFI machines with secure boot enabled, upgrade also modified grub so I was not able to recover to previous version.
The laptop is an old HP 665. I didn’t check hashsum, and now it doesn’t work subsequently.
I’m relatively new, I installed parrot around two years ago, but I didn’t use it much. That time I used rufus and guided/inbuild install. But I now want to partition manually.

It took me awhile to figure out comparing hashes. Seems that integrity is alright.

Indeed, there is a problem with the installer… You should try to work with the Architect version. It’s installer is working…

My laptop has nonworking CMOS battery, without Network Time Protocol package installed it doesn’t connect with websites. I remediated it with typing ‘sudo service ntp start’ on each session, but for that I need to have ntp.
Arhitect requires internet to install some essential components, right? Then I’d end up with another broken install.
Anway, how Architect install looks like? I don’t think that there is content about that version. How much knowledge it requires (mine is mediocre at best)?
Thanks.

Yes, you need Internet connection to install architect and the installation process is very easy.

How did you download the installer without an internet connection anyways?

Another thin you should do is to look whether or not your hardware is supported.

Actually, I mean that it requires connection to websites, which my laptop wouldn’t do because it’s system date defaults to default bios date.
That laptop is OpenSUSE certified and Parrot did run on it.

I’ve seen a video, surprisingly easy, I imagined some gentoo level stuff.

same error , how did you fix it

Sorry for very late response, I was busy, college student stuff.
I didn’t fix it, I already distro-hopped, trying different distros. But, I learned that unformatted (with bios-grub flag) 8 MB partition is only for BIOS-Legacy machines with GPT partition table, mine is BIOS-Legacy with MS-DOS partition table. You can’t install absolutely any distro if you make that mistake. So, just don’t put that partition unless you have LegacyBIOS with GPT.

1 Like

Sorry for very late response, I was busy, college student stuff.
I didn’t fix it, I already distro-hopped, trying different distros. But, I learned that unformatted (with bios-grub flag) 8 MB partition is only for BIOS-Legacy machines with GPT partition table, mine is BIOS-Legacy with MS-DOS partition table. You can’t install absolutely any distro if you make that mistake. So, just don’t put that partition unless you have LegacyBIOS with GPT.

I am also getting the same error. There are other recent posts on the forum with the same issue:
https://community.parrotsec.org/t/installation-fails-version-5-0-1/25277
https://community.parrotsec.org/t/parrot-5-installation-failled-boost-python-error-in-job-bootloader/25767

Is there any official way to raise an issue? This is certainly an installer issue. Is there a way I can partion manually and install manually?

https://community.parrotsec.org/t/installation-shows-bootloader-error/25796

I successfully installed Parrot-architect-5.1.2 on my ideapadL340 a week ago. It’s on hdd while Win10 is on ssd. I have some missing drivers, though
Happy holidays!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.