Issue with Booting Parrot OS on Raspberry Pi 4 from USB Drive

I’m facing an issue while trying to boot Parrot OS on my Raspberry Pi 4 from a USB drive. I have successfully flashed the OS onto the USB drive, but unfortunately, the Raspberry Pi 4 doesn’t seem to boot from it.

Issue Details:

When I attempt to boot from the USB drive, the boot process gets stuck on the following message: “random crng init done.”

Steps Taken:

I flashed Parrot OS onto a 32 GB USB drive using the same process that I’ve successfully used for microSD cards. However, when I insert the USB drive into the Raspberry Pi 4 and power it on, the boot process hangs on the “191s: random crng init done.” Just to troubleshoot, I tested the same Parrot OS image on a microSD card and it boots up perfectly on the Raspberry Pi 4.

Configuration:

Here’s the content of my /etc/fstab and /boot/cmdline.txt files for both the USB drive and the microSD card installations:

USB Drive (Not Booting): fstab

# <file system>   <dir>           <type>  <options>         <dump>  <pass>
proc              /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
/dev/mmcblk0p1    /boot/firmware  vfat    defaults          0       2
/dev/mmcblk0p2    /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1

USB Drive (Not Booting): cmdline.txt

net.ifnames=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait

microSD Card (Working): cmdline.txt

console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=f62b3cc0-02 rootfstype=ext4 fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

microSD Card (Working): fstab

proc              /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
PARTUUID=f62b3cc0-01  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
PARTUUID=f62b3cc0-02  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1

I’m kindly seeking your expertise and assistance in resolving this issue. If anyone has encountered a similar problem or has insights into how I can get it to boot successfully from the USB drive, I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Feel free to share any suggestions, solutions, or ideas to help me troubleshoot and overcome this obstacle. Your support will be incredibly valuable to me.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

The actual problem i figured out is that the included cmdline.txt still refers to mmcblk0p1 as the boot partition instead of using root=PARTUUID=****** . That way it is still looking to boot from the memory card instead of booting from USB.

Another problem is the included /etc/fstab which is also trying to mount mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p2 . Here the mount point should also refer to the PARTUUID instead of the memory card slot. Now i don’t really know what to change where with correct values.

I’ve successfully resolved the booting issue I was experiencing with Parrot OS on my Raspberry Pi 4, as well as the low disk space alert problem. I wanted to provide an update and share how I resolved these issues in case anyone else encounters a similar situation.

Boot Issue Resolution: Initially, my Raspberry Pi 4 was unable to boot from a USB drive, and the boot process got stuck on the “random crng init done” message. I determined that the issue was caused by incorrect references to the memory card partitions in the configuration files.

To resolve this:

1. I updated the /boot/cmdline.txt file on the USB drive, changing root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to root=PARTUUID=ab8b80d2-02 to reflect the correct PARTUUID of the root partition on the USB drive.
  2. I updated the /etc/fstab file on the USB drive, replacing /dev/mmcblk0p1 and /dev/mmcblk0p2 with PARTUUID=ab8b80d2-01 and PARTUUID=ab8b80d2-02, respectively.

Disk Space Issue Resolution: After successfully booting from the USB drive, I encountered a low disk space alert despite using a 32GB USB drive. The issue was related to the root partition not properly utilizing the available space.

To resolve this:

1. I used gparted to resize the root partition (/dev/sda2) to use the unallocated space on the USB drive.
  2. After resizing the partition, I used resize2fs to resize the filesystem within the partition to match its new size.

Following these steps, my Raspberry Pi now boots successfully from the USB drive, and the disk space issue has been resolved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.