list of security features in kernel and/or binary packages

Hi there,

Is there a list anywhere of what security features are enabled / added in the Parrot kernel as compared to e.g. a stock Debian kernel?

Are there also features compiled in to binary packages? I’m curious about this because I see that nearly everything downloads from a Parrot mirror, even common packages.

I’m interested in using Parrot for headless servers if there’s a significant security benefit to doing so, for example if it eliminates certain classes of exploits, etc.

Thanks!

For most pen test distros, you will find modified kernel drivers typically for WiFi cards to allow monitor mode and the like to function, this is normally disabled by default.

Many of the tools used in Parrot or any other Linux based pen test distro are open source, and freely available, on GitHub or other code repositories, and often the best place to find out about such tools is in the code repos themselves, they are often the only source of descriptions on how to use them.

The main Parrot site just makes it easier to install as they will keep pre-compiled binaries of those same programmes on the server.

Thanks!

I think I can refine what I’m asking a bit.

• Is the kernel compiled with any options or patches not found in “typical” Linux distros, which mitigate against 0-day exploits?
  • Are any/all of the binaries in .debs in the Parrot repo compiled with any such options or patches?

An example of what I’m talking about would be Address Space Layout Randomization … when enabled, it prevents a class of exploits. I’m curious if the kernel and/or binaries in packages from the Parrot repo have been built with similar options which aren’t found in, say, unmodified Debian stable.

Its Open Source, you can have a look;