Looking For Advice

I guess a little back story info would be in order. I’m a pastor of 2 very small congregations in the Upstate of SC. I don’t take a salary (obviously out of the question due to the size). I pay my bills driving an 18 wheeler that allows me to be home every night and all weekend long.
I was diagnosed with macular degeneration in my right eye and it’s beginning to seriously affect my vision. I have a DOT card that is good for 1 year so that gives me a little less than a year to prepare myself for a new career.
Realistically, what skills do you believe I could develop in a year’s time that would make me marketable breaking into the IT field? I’m a 48 year old male with a little above average intelligence but certainly not super intelligent. I’ve been using various Linux distros for 12 years or so.
Ideally I would like to be self employed but even remote working would be acceptable. I’m about an hour and a half south of Charlotte NC and 3 hours from Atlanta GA. Thanks.

Hi @Jason (Pastor)

The easiest way to go is to get a CompTIA A+ certification and work either via phone (tech support/help desk) or on location (IT technician). The tech support positions are either in a call center or work at home via phone. Then you can study to get other certifications (like the CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Linux+, Cisco CCNA, etc.) to move up and get better pay. I think the A+ is being updated soon to a new version, which CompTIA does every 3 years.

Here’s the guy who helped me get my A+ back in 2010 and Network+ in 2012. Free video courses on YouTube with monthly live study sessions.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I will certainly look into this!

1 Like