Missing: Mysql

Hello guys,
I just installed ParrotOs on the disk I use at work, because… well, it’s a short story but I bet you don’t care.
Anway, I’ve got it installed and today at work I had several problems, but in this topic I’ll focus on mysql.
I need some mysql DB and I had some troubles connecting to it, so I decided to reinstall it from scratch and ofc I’ve typed:

$ sudo apt purge mysql-common
$ sudo apt install mysql-common

But now mysql binary has disappeared, so I looked for it:

$ sudo apt-file list mysql-common
E: The cache is empty. You need to run "apt update" first.
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt-file list mysql-common
E: The cache is empty. You need to run "apt update" first.

There’s no way I can know what files the package it installs… LOL.

Does anyone know how do I get mysql again?
Thanks

I would suggest backing up if you have anything you “need” (not packages but rather files like packet captures pictures etc. ) and reinstalling. I typically change the mysql and postgres services right after doing my dist-upgrade command post install. You can still find some great information including how to do this in the FAQ section on the main page here https://docs.parrotsec.org/doku.php/faq

parrot and debian do not provide mysql

instead they use mariadb, which is a mysql fork 100% free from oracle bloat, 100% compatible with mysql and 100% free and open source

please use mariadb instead of mysql (it is pre-installed in parrot security) and then use it as if it were a standard mysql daemon

1 Like

I found it, it was default-mysql-server package I was looking for (depends on mariadb-server).
Thanks