My computer got hacked with neovim

– Please Write here your help request, –

Hello,

So I took a nap today, and when I woke up, my computer had many neovim windows opened and a few firefox windows opened. I have never used neovim and I do not know what is for (I am still learning how to use Linux).

I decided to restart my computer, then I checked with these commands to see if I could find any changes:

w
who
last
history

I could not find anything strange, but I am still worried, what are the best steps when you have been compromised like this?

Thanks in advance.

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):

VERSION_ID=“5.0”
VERSION=“5.0 (Electro Ara)”
VERSION_CODENAME=ara

• Kernel version (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type uname -r):

5.18.0-1parrot1-amd64

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):
  • Screenshots:
1 Like

Hi @Moon_Lady ,
Would you please check if you set these applications on autostart??

1 Like

Hi. I would lock your screen or shut down your PC before sleeping so no one can play on your computer.

1 Like

Thank you, the first time I did not suspend my PC and unplug my internet lol I will follow this advice, lesson learned lol. :sweat_smile:

What should I do besides that, is there a way to see whether I am still hacked?

Hi thank you for your response, I have never used them so I am not sure, I have been learning linux for months now, this is the first time this has happened. Like I had around 50 terminal windows opened with neovim When I restarted my computer the firewall and jailban where disabled :frowning:

When I was new to linux, I messed things the same way as you did. BTW I am still new to linux LOL

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.