Need help with updating, and tty1

Running: Dell Inspiron 5577 gaming

Gpu: Optimus Nvidia Getz 1050ti, and intel

Ram: 16gb

CPU: intel i7 7700HQ

Storage: 128gb ssd + 1tb hard drive (1tb is the only one I use)

Hello I need help with my ParrotOs distribution, yesterday I updated it when ParrotOs looked up for updates, then it stopped at 84%. Or to be more clear it froze the display so I could not see anything else. So I didn’t know what to do, the fans to my laptop where going a bit loud. And i wanted about 10 minutes but nothing changed so I decided to shut down. When I booted it up again, it all goes well until we pass the ParrotOs image where it is loading. After that is done it just takes me to “Parrot 4.5 tty1”

I tried looking up why this could have happened, but all I got was it probably was my nvidia gpu, or I didn’t install it right.

Anyways of people that asked for help because they had the same issue. Got a response to run

sudo dpkg —configure -a

But when ever I run that, and before I run that

I also get bugs that say:

watchdogs: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck for xs! [grep:3508]

watchdogs: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck for xs![kworker/6:0:43]

Does are the two errors that keep popping up and it seems to stop the process of the command I gave. Sometimes it stops me from using the command line .

I have thought about just doing a new reinstall but that will make me reinstall things I liked, and i don’t want to lose some of my data that I only have in that laptop. I have tried using advanced settings in the Grub to go back a version but that just sent me back to the tty1.

I don’t really know what to do, so that is why I am here to ask. How can I go back, or update fully my laptop so that I can go back to a GUI? And is it possible to not lose some of my own files?

What version of Parrot are you running? I think Parrot 4.10 or 4.4 was updating to 4.13

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
I used a bootable usb
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
No
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
https://community.parrotsec.org/t/os-random-freezing-while-updating/4729/2
But it didn’t help. At least in my case
If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Boot in older kernel
Than fix all

1 Like

4.5 is a beta, still not due for at least a few weeks if not a month which is a typical timeline historically for Parrot. You may want to go back to the current release which is 4.4

1 Like

This was apparently false, Palinuro and Mibofra have very strong work drives because that was very quick. I never count too many of what I would call a break when they start pushing things… it’s really impressive somedays.

What is your cpu maybe you need micro code that is either not installed or supported. This definitely sounds like a hardware issue but not necessarily gpu because of the first error. It does sound like you should reinstall though you can save your files on the command line interface and then reinstall after verifying theres support for your hardware