nVidia drivers not working for RTX 30 series laptop

Hello,

I am currently using a brand new Asus Zenbook Pro 17 laptop with a Ryzen 6000 series CPU, Radeon integrated graphics and an nVidia RTX 3050.

I tried installing Parrot OS and was unable to use it without nomodeset enabled. I have tried to install nVidia + Bunblebee as per the Parrot documentation but still get a black screen when trying to use it. Currently I am able to use the system so long as I have nomodeset enabled.

• Parrot version in use: 5.1

• Kernel version:6.0.0-12parrot1-amd64

If i’m not wrong, Parrot doc should have multiple methods and bumblebee is 1 of them. If i’m wrong, I’ll tell the doc team to update it.

For your issue, i’d recommend to uninstall Bumblebee. To install Nvidia’s driver, do sudo apt install nvidia-driver is enough.
To run applications that uses Nvidia, you can use offload method
https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/435.17/README/primerenderoffload.html

Hello,

I have removed bumblebee with sudo apt remove bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia and now LightDM won’t start

I actually might have pinned this issue down to the integrated AMD GPU, not the nVidia GPU breaking. See image of the last thing my system shows before crashing attached.

Update: I manually updated the AMD GPU and now can boot without nomodeset but now lightdm still won’t start unless nomodeset is used

Okay I have pinned it down to this: My system does not load X server correctly due to either an issue with my nividia gpu or my AMD integrated GPU, and previously my system was not working without nomodeset because the AMD GPU firmware was out of date. Since my last post, I have done a clean install of 5.1.2, ran sudo parrot-upgrade and copied the updated firmware for the amdgpu on the linux firmware git repository to my /lib/firmware/amdgpu folder so that my system does not hang such like the image in my last post. I now have the issue with X server not displaying correctly UNLESS I set nomodeset on my system. I feel like this is not a proper permanent solution though and would love if anyone has any idea on how to sort this out.

Attached is a Xorg log
Xorg.log (16.8 KB)

Oh well that’s odd. I have never used amd to be honest.

That sounds familiar but any issue of mine was Intel x Nvidia. I suppose x11 config could solve this issue but because i have never used Amd so i can’t say anything (nor test anything)

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.