Parrot boots into BusyBox [SOLVED]

Briefly describe your issue below:

Parrot fails to boot and boots into BusyBox command line.

I installed parrot from USB via regular installer. Single HD laptop with Windows 10 and Ubuntu already installed. I deleted the Ubuntu partition during the installation process and let the installer partition it after deleting it (with a separate /home partition).

Grub seems to have installed fine as I get the Grub boot menu when I power up with a choice of Parrot OS or Windows 10. Windows 10 boots fine.

When I choose to boot Parrot OS I see the Parrot splash screen (the graphic one) but then I get a BusyBox command line.
Above the BusyBox are 4 error messages:

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): could not resolve [_SB.PCI0.GFX0.DD02._BCL], AE NOT FOUND (20180810/psargs-330)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.DD02._BCL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20180810/psparse-516)

And two more copies of the same lines.

Does anyone know what it means?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
Installed the home edition 4.5.1 but never boot into it yet.

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
USB, Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
yes, see description above.

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
I found one post in the forum mentioning BusyBox but there was no solution in the post.

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

OK, after some more digging I figured out what the issue was.

Apparently the installer considered the USB stick (where the installer/live system sits) as sda and the internal HD as sdb, so GRUB was set up to look for sdb5 for the root partition. However once the USB stick was removed and there was only the internal HD, the system treats it as sda, and there is no sdb, so GRUB was stuck.

I am not sure how Windows was able to load, but whatever…

I ended up booting the live system from the USB, and edited the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and changing all the instances of sdb to sda, and that did the trick.

I just thought I’d put it here in case someone needs it in the future.

2 Likes