Previous install and new install

Briefly describe your issue below:
I installed 4.6 on my ssd and still have an old install that’s been updated to 4.6 on one of my hdds, I just wonder if there is a way to move some of the things I had installed into the new system or if I just need to redownload them all?
I have a shared home folder from old install so all that stuff is still in place.
What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
4.6 and 4.6
What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
usb of the 4.6 security iso
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
currently boots windows 7 and both 4.6 installs
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

I want to add now that luckily I’ve done a few things in the past and pull apt install lists and a few other things from my history file and I’ve gotten a lot of things installed again from going through files, but it’s still a question I have a bit of interest in. If it’s possible to pull from /etc or wherever off the old partition and into the new to avoid something like a 1+GB program having to download. I guess at this point it’s only a few things I need to get but a reasonable query of whether it’s easier/faster to reinstall vs migrate(if possible).

1 Like

migration vs. reinstallation: the answer is, whichever works for you. :wink: Valid wonderings. it sounds as if your goal is to learn about both your system and the workings of Linux operating systems…Congratulations! That is a HaCKER HOMIE! :slight_smile: KEEP QUESTIONING AND KEEP TRYING THINGS!

1 Like

In short no. What you can move between systems will be config files but not the all the installed packages themselves because they have setups/dependencies that have to added in. You could use the package files if your previously downloaded them but it would still have to configure.

1 Like

That’s kind of what I was thinking. I wanted to see before deleting the old partition. I’ll have to go through it and see what configs I can get and save myself some time plus I’ll check the package cache and see if there’s any i can grab from there.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.