Return top menu to original state.

Hey all,

First post and brand new POS user. Glad to be here.
I’ve just been toying around and getting use to it.

While I was playing with the MATE panels I removed the original top menu, and now I am having trouble returning it to its original state (the top menu, I mean).

Is there a quick way to do this? Or do I have to re-add all the entries/ links?
If i have to manually re-add it, can somebody whom still has the original menu, please provide the information required… Names, links, commands, etc?

Much appreciated.

• ParrotOS iso in use:
    5.1 Security

• Application used for flashing the iso:
    Etcher, I believe

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):
    Terminal was not used, this issue is based on the GUI (mate)

• Screenshots:
    If they are required, just let me know

There are several commands to restore a mate desktop to its original settings, you will however lose any changes and backgrounds you have made, at your own risk.

dconf reset -f /

Ahh, ok.

I’ll give it a go, when i get back.

Where are rhe original settings, stored? Can they be changed?

that I can’t help with, as I am predominantly a hardware man, But mate is very customisable using the tools found in the panel this is a good guide…
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/customize-the-mate-desktop/

You the wizard, Brian.

Thanks, very much. I’ll mark this as done/complete, once i get a chance to test it.

Ok, I tried this, and it removed all ParrotOS theming, but didn’t revert the menus back to their original state.

right! I loaded P5 on my test rig [I have over a dozen distros on test rig at one time] and wrecked the DE,
this worked for me,
boot up to GRUB, scroll down to advanced settings, open, select repair mode and let it run

1 Like

I couldn’t find a repair mode, but I could find recovery mode in that menu.

TBH, I opted to re-create it myself; it’s not exactly the same, but I checked out a few youtube videos, and built the missing links.

Sorry to waste your time, @Brickwizard I really appreciate your help.

Your welcome to me Not a waste of time, [and I have plenty being retired] it may help someone else in the future.
Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.