Running Parrot OS in Raspberry Pi 4 from USB

Hi, I am trying to install Parrot OS 5.2 for 64bit ARM on a Raspberry Pi 4 (latest eeprom update).
I have been flashing Parrot-security-rpi-5.2_arm64.img.xz onto a 500GB SSD NVME with Balena Etcher.

The problem is that the included cmdline.txt still refers to mmcblk01 as the boot partition instead of using root=PARTUUID=6468ea40-02. That way it is still looking to boot from the memory card instead of booting from USB. I changed the cmdline.txt to the correct setting and got further.

The next problem that occured is the included /etc/fstab which is also trying to mount mmcblk01 and mmcblk02. Here the mount point should also refer to the PARTUUID instead of the memory card slot. For my case I changed the fstab to mount /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. This got me further again.

I was able to get onto the desktop. After that I ran a reboot and the whole installation would not come back up because of a lot of inode errors. I assume that the initial installation got interrupted by reconfiguration and thus the full drive size was not correctly partitioned and mounted.

1. Can you please create an image that is less device dependent (works with SD card AND USB drive)?

2. What steps do I have to take to finish the intial installation?

Thanks for your help.
Ralph

Parrot-security-rpi-5.2_arm64.img.xz

that is a compressed file… uncompress it and write the img file to the drive!

Parrot-security-rpi-5.2_arm64.img

Flashing the image onto the USB drive is not the problem. Also having the raspberry boot from that drive instead of the memory card is not the problem.

The problem is that the image still assumes it is being booted from a memory card device (mmcblk01p1). The cmdline.txt file and the /etc/fstab still refer to that device instead of the USB device (sda2) or, even better, the device with the correct PARTUUID (in which case the hardware device would no longer matter).
How can I change the fstab before the initial boot?

You can do that with fstab, heres a walkthrough;

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.