[SOLVED] Libreoffice fails to start on brand new install of parrot home edition

hello-
I just installed Parrot OS home edition on my new laptop (dual booted with windows 11 if that matters), and I used the ISO that was available for download maybe a week or two ago. I also use Parrot OS security edition on my other, much older, laptop. I am fairly familiar with Parrot OS, however I am running in to several problems that I haven’t encountered before. The laptop with security edition “just works” and has given me few problems since I originally installed it in April of 2019. Unfortunately, this fresh install of home edition hasn’t worked nearly as well or as much as I like. It’s especially problematic since I need to use my new laptop with Parrot OS home edition for school work and maybe some light gaming. I have run into a few, what I consider major, problems and have made a few attempts to solve them. For relevance, I’ll just address the immediate problem and make new posts for the other issues to keep things relevant. I know I probably added some extra information, but I think knowing my situation and background may be helpful.

So, to get to the point, Libreoffice fails to start using both the menu shortcut and the command line. In both instances, the splash loading screen shows for a few seconds and then disappears, however the error on the command line is somewhat illuminating as it provides an error message, as shown below:

Warning: failed to launch javaldx - java may not function correctly terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::deployment::DeploymentException' Unspecified Application Error

This error comes up whenever I try to launch libreoffice normally through the command line, and while attempting to launch it in safe mode. I did install the libreoffice-java package hoping that would fix the problem, however the result remains the same. This, along with a few other issues (such as my headphone port not working, for example) are really hindering my ability to use Parrot OS for my school work as well as some personal use. I also tried to reinstall the Java runtime, but that did not fix the issue either. I’m at a point to where I am forced to reach out for assistance for this issue to (hopefully) get it resolved. I am assuming that the issues should be easily reproducible since this is a fresh installation of Parrot OS home edition and Libreoffice has failed to start since installation. I’ll also add that I did enable the i386 repositories in an attempt to get steam running (with no success, that fails to install too, but that’s an issue for another post). I really don’t want to have to go to another distro, I like parrot, it runs great and has a setup and themes that are quite elegant, and has given me few issues on my much older laptop running parrot security OS that runs libreoffice, and steam with no issues, and my headphone port actually works on that laptop. Additionally, Parrot OS is insanely fast and loads and runs like a cheetah on crystal meth, which is great compared to Windows 11’s snail pace. appreciate any assistance that could be provided.

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):

VERSION_ID=“5.3”
VERSION=“5.3 (Electro Ara)”
VERSION_CODENAME=ara

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

Warning: failed to launch javaldx - java may not function correctly terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::deployment::DeploymentException' Unspecified Application Error

• Screenshots:
    none at this time

This is a bit of a shot in the dark but try installing these two packages: sudo apt-get install default-jre libreoffice-java-common

I tried to install the packages as suggested. I already installed libreoffice-java-common and default-jre was already installed, however I reinstalled them just to see if it fixed anything. unfortunately it did not correct the issue.

I fixed the issue. The solution in this case was to first completely purge libreoffice and anything related to it from the system, then reinstall fresh. In this case the exact steps were to 1. completely purge libreoffice and anything related to it from the system. Once thats done 2. Select libreoffice-writer and libreoffice-java-common for installation and let it grab the dependencies that are needed (I used synaptic to make all this easier)
I also want to note that deleting the Libreoffice folder from .config DID NOT correct the issue. I tried that before the purge.
I can only guess that there’s something wrong with the default configuration that comes with the initial install. Unfortunately, I was unable to chase down what was broken, but probably something the parrot devs should look in to so that they’re not shipping a broken libreoffice with the installation media. Oddly enough, it works just fine on the Live USB/DVD…