[Solved]Parrot 5.2 New install with NXServer Crashes XOrg?

Hi All,

I just installed a new Parrot Security 5.2 on one of my VM’s and receive crashes in Xorg
I have replicated the behavior both on a new install of Security Edition 5.2 and HTB Edition 5.2.

Parrot Version: 5.2 Electro Ara
Linux Kernel: 6.0.0-12parrot1-amd64

Crash logs of Xorg:

I also notice a failure to load bochs-drm driver (not sure what this is for) in the other x-0 crash log:

lspci Output:

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install a new VM from the ISO images on Parrot Security (I tested and replicated the issue with both HTB edition and Security edition)
  2. Run sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade
  3. Install NXServer:
    3.a. wget https://download.nomachine.com/download/8.4/Linux/nomachine_8.4.2_1_amd64.deb
    3.b sudo dpkg -i nomachine_8.4.2_1_amd64.deb
  4. Connect to the machine with NoMachine Client.
  5. Log in and open a couple of MATE terminals. Crash of X occured on the 2nd start of a MATE terminal in my case. But I’ve also had crashes when running firefox-esr, burp,…
  6. You are now logged out because your X Session has crashed and has been killed. Crash logs can be found under /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (See [ 472.253] (II) modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0 146.25 1680 1784 1960 2 - Pastebin.com)

I can log in again, and use the desktop largely as expected until I open any program, then it crashes again.

Any suggestions?

Solution

It turns out that Bochs-drm driver is a driver specifically for VGA emulated devices and it seems that X (or glibc) doesn’t really like the latest version of that driver.

Problem solved by changing the graphics card emulation on my VM to use VirtIO rather than default VGA emulation.

lspci -k now shows:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio GPU (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio GPU
	Kernel driver in use: virtio-pci
	Kernel modules: virtio_pci

Rather than Bochs DRM, and crashes are no longer happening.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.