Text install for parrot os

Hi. I would like to install parrot os, but for some reason, my laptop seems to always freeze after about 30 seconds when trying to run live-usb graphical installs (tried several different distros to validate, also safe-graphics etc). It all works fine if I use a text installer, such as for Debian. Therefore, I was hoping to use the parrot “alternate installer” based of a Debian base, but it seems to fail with missing repos, even after patching with the one pull request. Does anyone know if this is maintained, or just not something I should be using? Or maybe there is a different way to install parrot os without live-usb installer?
Thanks

What graphics card is in your laptop?
Its probably a driver issue that is causing the problem…

Hi @steves

Just wondering… are you using the latest Parrot 5.2-1 ISO? What program did you use to burn the ISO to USB? Thanks!

It’s an Intel UHD Graphics 620 I believe, but yes, it could well be graphics driver related. I’ve been running Ubuntu 18 then 20 on this machine for years, but not sure what driver it was using.
Thanks

@Masmer It was definitely 5.2, but not sure if it was 5.2-1. It was whatever was linked from the Parrot Security page two days ago. To burn I used the ‘dd’ utility. Thanks.

Boot to a ‘Live’ Parrot desktop, then;

sudo apt install intel-media-driver

Then fromn that updated ‘in memory’ system, start the installer, and it should pick up the new driver.

That chipset has a power save feature that hangs debian based installers with the default i915 Intel drivers

Thanks @Fred_Sheehan. I couldn’t stay in the ‘live’ environment for long enough to type this command before it froze initially. Fortunately, I found that “Failsafe-gpu” worked (I thought I had tried this option before, but nevermind), so that enabled me to install the OS, although I still couldn’t find “intel-media-driver”. I tried “intel-media-va-driver” and “intel-media-va-driver-non-free”, but neither stopped the freezing.
So, for the moment, I have edited grub to set “nomodeset” on boot. At least it all seems to work now. But if you know a better way, please let me know.
Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.