Unable to get native resolution working on AMD HW, brand new to Linux/ParrotOS

– Please Write here your help request –
x570 chipset, 5800x CPU, Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX, Monitor: LG 27GL850-B

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

I have learned how to add my resolution so it’s recognized in xrandr but I am still unable to actually change to this resolution.

I have installed all the dependencies required from my reading, most of them already were installed, except maybe the backports? I may have broken some packages.

Do you think the next version of Parrot OS will have the updated debian bookworm kernel so that everything may work out of the box then?

I am trying to learn how to program as well as information security best practices, ParrotOS seems to be the exact OS I am looking for as it has everything pre-installed for a developer environment, python, node and go. This resolution is going to drive me up the wall though.

I have so much to learn that I don’t really want to keep playing around with this atm, really curious if the community thinks this could be resolved with the next ParrotOS update.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.

• ParrotOS iso in use:
    Parrot 5.3

• Application used for flashing the iso:
    Rufus

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

─[parrot@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 0.00*
1280x960 0.00
1280x720 0.00
1024x768 0.00
800x600 0.00
640x480 0.00
2560x1440_60.00 (0x5cd) 312.250MHz -HSync +VSync
h: width 2560 start 2752 end 3024 total 3488 skew 0 clock 89.52KHz
v: height 1440 start 1443 end 1448 total 1493 clock 59.96Hz

• Screenshots:

that usually means its using a fallback driver, try updating those first;

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu

I believe I already have that installed. I think the problem is because I’m on some of the latest hardware and correct dependencies/firmware/backports aren’t installed and/or manually configured but I’m having difficulties finding the correct resources. Here are some additional screenshots if anybody can take a glance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m excited to make ParrotOS my day to day OS.

Device AMD Driver N/A means it needs drivers, try this to get your AMD card fully enabled;

sudo apt install firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree libdrm-amdgpu1 xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu mesa-vulkan-drivers libvulkan1 vulkan-tools vulkan-utils vulkan-validationlayers mesa-opencl-icd

Hey sorry for the lately reply, but do you have any specific error of missing binary files in sudo dmesg?
Seems like somebody is having a similar issue here

I think you should give this a try
https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

I don’t know much about AMDGPU so I’m afraid I can’t help you much. I’m using Nvida on my all devices.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.