Unable to proceed with Parrot OS installation after finishing installation

– Please Write here your help request –
I have been trying to install the Parrot OS on Virtual Box. I have tried with the Parrot Security 5.2 and the Parrot Home 5.2 . In both cases, I get logged in to the try version of Parrot with the username parrot. I then proceed with the Install Parrot and it finishes. I will then hit done and to restart. Parrot restarts and I am again taken to a menu that says try/install. It doesn’t seem like my new user and password was created. I have checked the parrot installation docs and it seems that I should be able to put in the username and password I created. However after the installation, Parrot stills shows the try/install option.

• ParrotOS iso in use:
    Version 5.2 Electric Ara

• Application used for flashing the iso:
    Installed onto Virtual Box

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:
    Let me know what screen shots you need.

Welcome to the forums

Did you remove the installation medium before you re-booted?

Hello Brian,
I reinstalled Parrot and removed my Parrot iso from Virtual Box’s virtual drive. I then rebooted the parrot VM. It seems that my username and password has been created now. However when logging in with my username and password, I am greeted with something that looks like a terminal with no GUI. I have seen other posts about this issue. For example, this post: No GUI after Installation on VMware & Swap File Problem . I followed the solution on the post and reinstalled the latest Parrot iso, However the issue still persists, I am not shown any GUI and can’t move on past the Parrot terminal.

There does seem to have been quite a few problems with the main edition of late, and I am sure the team are working on it, the only other suggestion I can make at this stage, is to install the architect version and select/install your own choice of apps. Yes, I know it’s a pain, but it seems to be the current working solution.

Thank you for all your help Brian. I will install the architect version and select/install my apps. In a few weeks or months, I will try to install the main version again to see if the issue is fixed.

Or you could try the home edition, it is a little bulky, but you can still run all the “tools” from it

I tried the security and the home edition of Parrot. Unfortunately both are giving me the the same issue. I would login with my username and password but would be stuck on the Parrot terminal with no GUI and no way to continue on.

Hi Alex,

Two things:

You will need to eject the Parrot ISO from VirtualBox. Right now it is booting off the ISO each time you start or restart.

There appears to be a bug in the Calamares installer of Parrot 5.2. If you tell it to auto-erase the drive, it will be formatted with BTFS file system. Upon rebooting, Parrot will not load Mate and ask for login/password from the terminal. Then the file system is read-only. You will need reinstall Parrot and manually partition the drive (choosing EXT4 instead for example) in the Calamares installer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.