No GUI after Installation on VMware & Swap File Problem

I tried to install the new Parrot 5.2 Home Edition today (after installing the previous version several times with no issues) via VMware on my MacBookPro.

I have two things to report:

1. I installed Parrot 5.2 Home with no Swap Partition or Swap File (because VM) with no problem. After reboot, the system always started in the shell, not the WM. I also had no network connection. I reinstalled with the same setup - and the same result, so i can replicate that. This issue was reported by other members of the community in this forum, so it seems i am not the only one with this issue.

2. Next, i tried to install Parrot 5.2 Home with a Swap File. The installation was aborted with this message:

I realy like Parrot and i hope this is helpful.

Hello I’m debugging the problem of xserver can’t start right now. The swap problem will be tested later

Something was wrong during the installation making the file system (in my vm) became read-only. I’m trying to figure it out.

1 Like

It’s a bug of calamares netinstaller. Architecture version is fine. I’m checking the Calamares again.

1 Like

Ok cool, thank you.

Hello @choulth!

the GUI issue has just been fixed. We are rebuilding the ISOs. A little more patience and you will see the updated 5.2.

For all those who are having problems with the security edition, edit /etc/fstab as root user and replace space_cache with space_cache=v2

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Amazing, thank you for the fast response.

Also just an extra step, as you can’t write to that in the cli.

Check your disk set up

sudo fdisk -l 

Remount to make it start the gui (using your disk from above, then a space, then “/”)

sudo mount -o remount,rw  /dev/YOUR_DISK /

It should then boot in to the gui, where you can edit the fstab as above.

Thanks again to the team, i just downloaded the newest ISO and everything works fine now. No workaround needed.