USB Live VS standard installation

First experience wit Parrot, I have installed it on a brand new 128GB high speed flash drive and attempt to use it with encrypted persistence. I notice some lag, sometime my mouse stop or menu take few seconds before opening. I have a pretty good ThinkPad laptop with a lot of memory.

This is my question: Since I have a big USB flash drive of 128GB, is there any reason why I should use live iso + persistence rather then making a standard installation on the USB flashdrive ?

My first thought was that using persistence would reduce read/write on the flash memory but since I have some lag, I’n thinking to go for a full installation. I don’t think I will kill my brand new flash drive within the next 2-3 years because of a standard installation on it.

Any thoughts about the distinction between both type of installation ? Recommandations ?

Thanks !

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

• I have the latest version 4.6 Security Edition

• I have created a live USB with encrypted persistence. I used Etcher on Windows, then I have resized the partition with GParted and created a second encrypted partition following the method described here: https://devanswers.co/guide-kali-linux-2018-live-usb-encrypted-persistence-windows/

• I run my Live USB on a ThinkPad T460 with no multiboot, only windows is installed on this machine.

RAM = 8G
Processor = Intel® Core™ i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz × 4

• Observation

Not sure if it’s normal or not but my mouse tend to disapear sometime, I was wondering if my lagging issue is with Xorg but I don’t see any warning or error in the log. I have try to modify windows manager in Mate Tweak, Using Marco Compton GPU seems to be a bit better but still have some sporadic freezes/lag.

The issue is not about RAM or intense use, I have the issue even when I do not run any application.

$free
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 7561980 1720936 4570032 123972 1271012 5449844
Swap: 262128 0 262128

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.