Using Anonsurf "underneath" another Linux OS

Hello all, I am interested in online privacy and anonymity, so I came up with the idea of having Parrot OS (running Anonsurf and a VPN) as the base operating system, then starting Virtualbox, then opening Lubuntu as a virtual machine inside Virtualbox, along with a second VPN. I would do all my browsing from the Lubuntu OS. My idea is to have the protections of Anonsurf, without risking a malicious exit node, as I am not actually browsing with Tor. Is this a good idea or not so good? Your thoughts, please. Thank you.

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):

• Kernel version (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type uname -r):

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

Try Whonix
This may be more convenient with the same result

1 Like

Thanks very much. Definitely more convenient. And, the Whonix page advises against “Tor over Tor”.

Thanks, but browsing from Whonix directly runs the risk of encountering malicious exit nodes. My thinking is that by running Anonsurf on the host OS, while browsing on the guest OS, may (or may not) sidestep that problem. My initial experiments showed that the guest OS showed the same IP as Anonsurf on the host OS. Thanks again.

It is recommended to not do that.

AFAIK (my network knowledge sucks though) ISP knows if you connect to Tor nodes because they knows the destination of your packets. I guess this is why you want to combine VPN and Tor?

In this case, you can try configure your private server to redirect your connections to Tor network. Anonsuf does no magic. It starts Tor and use bunch of iptable rules to redirect all traffics to Tor proxy on localhost.
p/s: AnonSurf has a rule that reject all income traffics when it’s on so I wouldn’t recommend you to run pure AnonSurf on your server.

1 Like

Thanks very much for all the tips. Much appreciated. I didn’t know about private servers - I will have to look into that. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.