Very slow internet

I use parrot os home 5.0 on my laptop and the internet connection is very slow. I think it is distro problem. While im using windows or other linux distros on the same computer, connecting same wifis there’s no problem. Please help.

What did you connect with, ethernet or wifi? Check if you have wifi drivers installed.

In a terminal, run inxi -Nn and paste back the results [you may have to install inxi from the repository]

Network:
Device-1: Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter
driver: iwlwifi

Could be the chip power management
try
sudo sed -i ‘s/3/2/’ /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/*

Although I have a different device in the Device-1 slot, when I enter in the command

sudo sed -i ‘s/3/2/’ /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/*

I get

sed: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: �’`

I have exactly the same problem. What do I do?

Welcome
Different device may be a different problem, please run inxi -n and paste back the full results

Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: ath10k_pci
  IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: 40:9f:38:39:47:fd
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8168
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: b0:6e:bf:0f:6d:d8

I use Ethernet cable to be able to connect to web domains, otherwise it wont work/is very slow with WiFi

Do I update my WiFi drivers? Do I disable IPv6? Do I get a wireless USB adapter? What do I try all these things? What to do from here?

The average bytes in on wlp1s0 is 10.7 MiB

The Atheros QCA9377 is not considered a very good card [even Lenovo dropped it] there is a fix, but you may still have problems, see this post from Reddit forums it’s 2 yrs old but still valid

After installing the firmware and following the commands/instructions, it seems to have worked perfectly until I restarted my computer and for no reason, the problem has now gotten worse.

I cannot connect to any web addresses despite my internet connection working (other applications like telegram that don’t require dns, work)

I try to change the name servers to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 in resolv.conf but to no avail as that changes nothing, and when I restart my computer the changes dont save on resolv.conf (Im using nano to edit).

I suspect this is all to do with anonsurf, because most of the problems I share come from people who point at anonsurf (even though I myself havent touched it once).

If you have any more info on this please let me know on how to proceed.

Many thanks Brian

I noticed that my connection worked with Tor browser and so went on to understand that it was a DNS protocol issue.

I set my resolv.conf nameservers with my DNS service client (NextDNS) with 2 being IPv4 and 1 being IPv6.

I also configured firefox settings to have DNS over HTTP and put the NextDNS ID into the ‘custom’ tab.

While I cannot really do anything further with my slow internet speed it definitely improved after the firmware update.

All is well, thanks for the help.

Being a hardware man my thoughts are, If you absolutely need dual-band, I would consider going down the road of either removing/replacing the built-in wi-fi card with one more compatible with Linux or using a USB 11a adaptor one that comes highly recommended by friends [although I have not tried it myself] is the Brostrend.com/products/brostrend-1200mbps-linux-usb-wifi-network-adapter [but quite expensive], if a single band N300 is good enough for you, I would suggest something with a Broadcom or Realtek chipset [Broadcom are probably the best supported on Linux]

Hello there?

I seem to have a similar issue. When doing an upgrade over terminal its starts downloading at high speeds and then seems to throttle down into the low Kbs.

Network:
Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlp0s20f3 state: up mac: e8:84:a5:******

Might you have an idea of what might be causing it to slow down that tremendously?

Thanks

Welcome.
Does this only happen when upgrading Parrot?
What are your RX & TX speeds like when using your regular internet sites?
If it’s only slow on the parrot & Ubuntu repository download sites, then it could be a server load problem, try using a different mirror closer to you
have you tried the previous solutions

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.