VM software on Parrot OS

I’m new to Parrot.
Does Parrot OS come with VM software installed? If so which is it/where can I find it? As i can’t seem to find any, and it does not allow me to install VirtualBox.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
Parrot OS Security version, release 3.11, 64 bit

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Yes

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

What do you mean it does not allow you to install it ? It’s available in the repository, and if you can’t “right now”, i can’t too i think Parrot is under maintenance right now and so the repository is not available.

Sorry, i tried installing it through terminal and by downloadig and running it.
Now i just managed to install it by running the file with GDebi package installer.

My bad, i’m too new at this

sudo apt install virtualbox

try that in console.

4 Likes

Thanks, its working through the installation with Gdebi package installer, but will keep it in mind for future reference should i need to re-install it

If you want to run a VM in Parrot as a live, encrypted-persistent installation (from USB drives) (virt-manager is the only VM that Tails recommends for an encrypted-persistence installation), download virt-manager through the Synaptic Package Manager. Just type “virt-manager” in Synaptic’s search dialogue, and viola! See my post even if you run an OS in your VM other than Tails: -->> Running Tails in a VM inside Parrot 3.11

See also:

• Starting Tails from a USB stick.
    • Creating a virtual USB storage volume saved as a single file on the host operating system.

I’m reluctant to run any 3rd-party, standalone VMs in Parrot (e.g., Whonix) because I don’t know how they will affect Parrot’s security.

Before you go online with whatever you run in your VM, be sure to run the tor daemon (sudo service tor start ^enter> sudo service tor reload ^enter>) in order to anonymize TCP. This will not route your traffic through Tor, but it MAY preclude your OS running in VM from leaking your MAC address (I haven’t gotten a definitive answer on this yet -->> Anonymous Mode Will Not Restart).

To hide your true IP address, either run a VPN, or skip the Tor daemon startup, and simply use “Anonsurf start” (select “No” for cache clearing, etc.). However, I typically avoid using Anonsurf until I’ve updated Parrot and downloaded any additional packages, because a slow Tor connection can mess that up.

Also, if you use Tor in your VM along with having Anonsurf running in your host OS (Parrot), you’re doubling-down on Tor’s latency. Regardless, I have run Tor-to-Tor this way, which offers some protection against hostile Tor nodes (assuming a hostile Tor node operator on your VM’s exit-node end can’t trace back through your host’s Tor circuit).

2 Likes