VS Codium C++ Debug Error

The Issue:

When using VSCodium application, I wrote a basic “Hello World” program in the C++ language.
Then I attempted to debug and run the program (which should select the ‘gdb’ package as the debug handler), however I was met with the response “Configured Debug Type ‘cppdbg’ is Unsupported”.

When looking on the Official VSCode & Unofficial VSCodium GitHub issues, it seems that the official C++ debug extension, provided by Microsoft, is unavailable to download from the extension market because the developers of VSCodium do not have the rights to the extensions.

However the only C++ debug extension provided on VSCodium is either broken, or fails to provide correct configuration for the Parrot Linux image. Which makes C++ development legitimately impossible on VSCodium. I found that the easiest fix for this issue is to download the official VSCode Linux Package, however, I want to know if there is a fix to the issue on the ported version VSCodium.

ParrotOS Version Assets:

VersionID is ‘5.1’
Version Codename is ‘Ara’

Screenshots:

1 Like

If you got to the VS Code site, and browse for the extension you want, look down to the right and a little below the title amnd you can download the extension, a VSIX file

In VSCodium, under the extensions tab, at the top, click on the tab with 3 little dots and choose install from VSIX, then find the extension you just downloaded, and it will install and work fine in VSCodium, the same is true for all extensions you download from VSCode website :wink:

And just for reference, lots of tutorials show you cout on its own, but that can and will cause problems down the road… it should be;

std::cout
std::cin

etc…

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/cout