Where are instruments of default ParrotOS?

– Good afternoon. I’m a little confused.
Parrot is positioned as a cybersecurity distribution, it is a direct competitor of Kali linux.
But I can’t understand one thing. In Kali linux I do apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade, reboot and everything works. All the tools, as they say, are out of the box.
In Parrot, I do the same thing, os-release shows the latest version (6.0 2024), I’ve installed Parrot Hack the box edition from the official website, but I don’t get anything in Parrot… Crackmapexec, ftp and etc. There is not even xfreerdp in this distribution. It doesn’t have to be like that. Ubuntu does not have these tools, but they should not be there by default, because this distribution is not for cybersecurity. But Parrot…there should be all these tools ready for work.
Question: is it okay that I have to install everything in Parrot by myself, or am I doing something wrong with the source.list?
But source.list is default too…–

• Screenshots:

Hello.

Speaking of crackmapexec, it’s not maintained anymore, so it’s not included on the system.
Its successor is Netexec.

Idk what tools are you looking for, but you can easily look for them by using the command apt search. Parrot HTB edition includes a comprehensive arsenal of tools as same as the security edition.

1 Like

Hi @Hoft, Ensure you have the security edition of parrot os installed first. It comes preinstalled with a nice number of security tools by default. any tool not installed by default can be easily done manually using the “sudo apt install xx” or “sudo nala install xx” depending on your preference. Kali and Parrot are both based of Debian distribution of Linux so under the hood they are alike and command syntax is similar

1 Like

thx for netexec, guy!