While preforming the mac m1 "hack" i can't install parrot-desktop-mate

– Please Write here your help request –
While preforming the mac m1 “hack” i can’t install parrot-desktop-mate or step 7 of the instructions

• ParrotOS iso in use:
    arm Architect

• Application used for flashing the iso:
    vmware fusion preview

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

(reference for original trial and error questioning above, below are steps to be followed for a current workaround referencing step 7)

Current symptoms from what has been told or explained is the following: User cannot use any commands like timedatectl, and currently commands like grep or when using grep with sudo apt list or the following command sudo apt update && sudo apt install parrot-desktop-mate does not operate as designed due to a certificate error. sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list is not found on system too.

Last requested to restart the install of the virtual machine (found out user is using a beta version of VMware)

Please confirm that the following VMware settings are set including default network settings (unless someone has a network setting that needs to be set up for VMware on mac)

(Currently I have not gotten the beta version of virtual box for M1 to even boot an operating system, currently sounds that parallels has worked but with some minor usb features inop, – never attempted with VMware or parallels Myself)

Two, attempt to see if a non torrent/mirrored version of the parrot OS arm64 has the same issues (if user has downloaded the normal iso file for arm64, then ignore this step)

Try this next step,
three, when installing the OS, install the OS all the way to the “select and install software” screen where it allows a user to select all the extra features (it’s a page with a bunch of checkmarks). Page includes the following: debian desktop environment, other DE including the mate desktop environment, and security/pentesting software selection. (This is after installing the base system) At this screen click on “goback”, and then install BRUB Bootloader. then finish the install

Then when arriving to the login page after (unfortunately another fresh install–and/or attempt beforehand) Please regardless of ping status, perform each step 1 through 7 listed in the stuck during installation recovery steps.

I believe that original statement was made when the apt part of the install was still broken, Currently the Parrot OS devs have corrected the APT issue but what I had to do was after getting to the select and install software screen, (with all the checkmark boxes with features to install) select go back and install the bootloader. (during my first attempt of install I froze on GUI install with adding the extra features)

Hope that helps, unfortunately it seems that the virtualization companies and apple have been attempting to rewrite the book when using virtualization on a silicon M1 chip.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.