WiFi antenna for Bluetooth

Hello

I heard that normal WiFi antennas are very similar to dedicated BT-antennas and therefore can be used for BT as well.

So I attached an AWUS036 ACM to my desktop PC (without any built-in Bluetoot equipment) and booted it with Parrot Security 5.1.1 (= Live system)

Dmesg shows that module/driver mt76x2u is loaded after inserting the antenna and other wireless tools do work properly :slight_smile:

Question:
Why do I get the following error when starting one of the Bluetoot tools under
Pentesting → Wireless → Bluetooth Tools ?

“Error initializing Bluetooth device”

Thank’s in advance for any feedback!
Joe

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):

• Kernel version (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type uname -r):

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

I do strongly believe that additional technical informations are not at all required to answer this question.

Mentioned already that I am using 5.1.1 and that the antenna is recognized (Dmesg)

there are several WiFi cards that have dual radios in them and do indeed cover WiFi and Bluetooth together, but from a hardware point of view they are seperate devices. Its true there are some frequencies overlapping, but they use very different sampling rates and power outputs.

your USB WiFi adapter is only that, a WiFi adapter, it doesnt have a bluetooth radio either!

no bluetooth adapter to initialise!

1 Like

Thank you very much Fred for this helpful answer!

In this case, I have to find an external BT-adapter… If possible with a antenna plug for an external antenna :slight_smile:

Regards,
Joe

USB Bluetooth are plentiful, theyre used to connect keyboards to TV’s etc, I believe the latyest is Bluetooth 5 is the latest spec, but they are usually backwards compatible too.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.