Wifi icon not showing

Briefly describe your issue below:
The wifi icon is not showing after I restarted the computer

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Parrot 4.9 MATE

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
I used a flash drive

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Dual boot with Windows 7

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

try
systemctl restart NetworkManager.service
or
service network-manager restart

I tried both commands, but none of them worked :frowning:

once try
service network-manager status
and see whether it is running or not?

It looks like it’s running (wich is sort of obvious for me bc i still have internet connection)

Anyways, i saw the following line:
CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
└─2634 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

I ran sudo /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --print-config and got this:

# NetworkManager configuration: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (lib: no-mac-addr-change.conf)

[main]
# rc-manager=resolvconf
# auth-polkit=true
# dhcp=internal
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false

[logging]
# backend=journal
# audit=true

[device-mac-addr-change-wifi]
match-device=driver:rtl8723bs,driver:rtl8189es,driver:r8188eu,driver:8188eu,driver:eagle_sdio,driver:wl
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
wifi.cloned-mac-address=preserve
ethernet.cloned-mac-address=preserve

# no-auto-default file "/var/lib/NetworkManager/no-auto-default.state"

# WARNING: unknown key 'wifi.cloned-mac-address' in section [device-mac-addr-change-wifi] of file '/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/no-mac-addr-change.conf'
# WARNING: unknown key 'ethernet.cloned-mac-address' in section [device-mac-addr-change-wifi] of file '/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/no-mac-addr-change.conf'

I also executed the command sudo /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --print-config and got this:

# NetworkManager configuration: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (lib: no-mac-addr-change.conf)

[main]
# rc-manager=resolvconf
# auth-polkit=true
# dhcp=internal
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false

[logging]
# backend=journal
# audit=true

[device-mac-addr-change-wifi]
match-device=driver:rtl8723bs,driver:rtl8189es,driver:r8188eu,driver:8188eu,driver:eagle_sdio,driver:wl
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
wifi.cloned-mac-address=preserve
ethernet.cloned-mac-address=preserve

# no-auto-default file "/var/lib/NetworkManager/no-auto-default.state"

# WARNING: unknown key 'wifi.cloned-mac-address' in section [device-mac-addr-change-wifi] of file '/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/no-mac-addr-change.conf'
# WARNING: unknown key 'ethernet.cloned-mac-address' in section [device-mac-addr-change-wifi] of file '/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/no-mac-addr-change.conf'

Try : right click on Notification Area then select “-Remove from Panel” then re-add by going to “+Add to Panel” > Notification Area > ‘+Add’

I tried and it is still not showing :frowning:

The graphical indicator in the panel is just an applet, “nm-applet”. It’s gets run as a startup application so it is under System > Preferences. It’s file in the list as “Network”.

1 Like

please forgive my ignorance on this.
but,is it as simple as running something like sudo restart nm-applet?

No its like I describe. In your Mate desktop in your top panel on the left you see a “System” category next to “Places” and “Applications” being the first option from the left. Under “System” go to “Preferences” -> “Personal” -> “Startup Applications”. Find the “Show Hidden” box near the bottom and make sure to check it so you can see all the startup apps. Nm-applet is the one titled Network. Maybe try experimenting with the delay timing, I believe the network devices could be taking longer than nm-applet is willing to wait receive whatever information it wants or that for whatever reason it’s just trying to execute at a bad time. You could also just copy that entry into a new one and then remove the old one…

You know in any case its guess and check, and these problems in my experience happen somewhat randomly about around the same time as a significant distro update and tend to iron themselves out by themselves(or gets fixed) within a couple days or hours. When I have a persistent problem I just add the run-application applet/dialog to my panel which lets you run any command you might need.

1 Like

i can follow that…
it’s much appreciated…

i was able to fix this with synaptic package manager,by typing in nm-applet into the search bar.
it appears i somehow removed it,so,just select install,and apply,then reboot the system.
i find that it isn’t themed the same,nor does it respond to themes,but it works…

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.