Wine32 Dependencies

Briefly describe your issue below:
Edit: Forgot to note Steam also cannot be installed for the same reason (but different packages) so this isn’t specific to wine.

Cannot install wine32 on Parrot. Recently (yesterday) made the switch from Kali to Parrot on my laptop. I’ve been installing anything I had on the Kali install, which included some things installed in wine (in this case 7zip). Trying to install wine32 gives the following:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wine32:i386 : Depends: libwine:i386 (= 4.0.2-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I’ve already added i386 to my architecture stuff and ran apt update, upgrade, etc
Also ran apt install --fix-missing but it didn’t find anything. Going down the rabbit hole and trying to install libwine:i386 leads to more uninstallable i386 dependencies. I’ve also tried adding wine’s repos and installing via the winehq packages but ran into the same issue. I feel like I might have had this issue before on Kali as well but if I did I have no idea how I fixed it, so I’m wondering if anyone has encountered this or knows the issue & how to resolve it. Anything I found online didn’t work (hence why I’m posting)

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Linux parrot 5.2.0-2parrot1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.2.9-2parrot1 (2019-08-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

└──╼ $sudo apt install wine32
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

wine32:i386 : Depends: libwine:i386 (= 4.0.2-1) but it is not going to be installed

┌─[✗]─[sceleratis@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo apt install libwine:i386
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

libwine:i386 : Depends: libfontconfig1:i386 (>= 2.12.6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libfreetype6:i386 (>= 2.6.2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgphoto2-6:i386 (>= 2.5.10) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libldap-2.4-2:i386 (>= 2.4.7) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libcups2:i386 (>= 1.4.0) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libgl1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libglu1-mesa:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
libglu1:i386
Recommends: libgssapi-krb5-2:i386 (>= 1.6.dfsg.2) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libkrb5-3:i386 (>= 1.6.dfsg.2) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libosmesa6:i386 (>= 10.2~) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libasound2-plugins:i386 but it is not going to be installed

Looks like package version conflict again. I swear this problem is from Debian. We have to pull new packages.

I take it that means there’s nothing to be done on my end?

I think maybe if you install it right but it is risky

What’s the right way to install it? I tried installing it via winehq-stable as well (per wine’s repo and instructions) but it resulted in the same issue. As mentioned in the edit Steam’s installation is blocked by the same package issue.

I don’t suppose anyone knows a fix for this? It’s also preventing the installation of steam and probably others qq

There’s also a lot of windows executables that seem to need some 32bit stuff that can’t be ran currently due to being unable to install wine32 and all of it’s related packages. Aptitude reports something along the lines of “X breaks X:i386” for most of the dependencies in question.

We found the bug on our repo - i386 branch. The update should be on test branch soon. We’ll deploy fix to stable branch asap.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.